Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have several questions .. would like to TALK to someone!

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX if I can help I shall.
You mentioned several questions, we usually deal with one question at a time, two max per deposit.
Please list the questions you have and any information that may help me understand the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Questions 2 and 4 most important
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
And those would be?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
*I would like to get rid of Bookmarks ... everytime I go on line or do a search they're added to a my bookXXXXX XXXXXst ... now I have over 700 bookmarks ... this is ridiculous .. I would like to delete and change this so it doesn't happen and I can choose which bookmarks I want
*My start up goes to: XXXXX XXXXX]/ NOT to yahoo or a mac page... reset home page

Sorry ... I listed 4 requests but I could only have 2 requests .. I thought that the second and fourth seemed obvious ... guess not ... maybe if I'd numbered them.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry but the list you included with the question did not appear until just now with this post.
Sometimes we get a glitch and this happens.
As for your questions none are difficult so I can handle all of them.
I do need to know the exact model of iBook to advise you on upgrade possibilities.
I also want to know what browser and version you are using.
The more detail you can supply me with the better the answer I can give.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
iBook 10.4.11 PowerPC G3 640MB
Safari 4.0.2

Hope this is what you're looking for ... thanks, sue
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You are maxed out on memory, sorry. You may want to upgrade to at least a G4 iBook.
To set a download folder goto Safari preferences (found in the drop down menu under Safari).
In the General tab you will find Home page, you can type in the address or you can navigate to the page you want and then click on set to current page. You can do this as many times as you wish until you have just what you want.
This is also where you select your download folder. Make your selection from the drop down menu.
You can change bookmarks behavior in the Bookmarks tab. Choose your poison.
To delete your book marks there is what looks like an open book to the left Safari screen just under the back button.
Click on that to open and delete to your hearts content.
Hope this answers all the issues.
If it is not quite clear please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This didn't help at all ... I reset the homepage to www.yahoo.com and it kept loading and loading and wouldn't stop .. I had to force quit and restart ...the only way I could get back to you was in the history. Also, I've tried the open book before today ... it didn't work then and it didn't work today. This is so very frustrating for me ... that why I would like to communicate via telephone, but I can't get through on the number that I have ... so that's why I tried computer support ... none of my problems are solved unless you can figure out what's going on and why it's not working for me ... I really would appreciate your help but whether or not you can, I don't know???? thanks, Sue
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Sue, Let us deal with one issue at a time.
I am not quite understanding how the sites are being automatically added to your book marks.
I have tried to make my Safari do this and have failed.
Can you tell me when this started and maybe what you were doing when it did?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know when it started ... only occasionally would i add a bookmark to sites I wanted quick access to but then I realized one day that I had 600+ bookmarks ... there' no way that I added that many ... where they came from and why .. I don't have a clue. To my knowledge, I did nothing to cause this to happen...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just went to the bookmarks pull down and clicked on "show all bookmarks" and all the history of every site I've been on for weeks came up. So are bookmarks supposed to show history???
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
The history and bookmarks are two different things. I will send you a screen shot of how to reset Safari. You pick and choose the items you want to reset and poof it is done.graphic
You will find this gem under the Safari in the menu bar. Try that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you ... got an error message that I couldn't be on this site unless I had cookies .... so I went to edit>pref>security>and accepted cookies .... don't know why that would change ... might have been when I had to reset Safari??? I did follow the screen of how to reset Safari that you emailed and that's when I was kicked off... I hope this problem gets solved soon because this is so unbelievably frustrating and taking much too much time!! My back is killing me from sitting her so many hours. That's why I would have preferred to communicate via the telephone. I think it would have gone much more quickly ... I did send you a message after you sent the "reset" screen but I don't see it anywhere. I asked you "how do I check to see if my problems have been solved without having to get booted off like I did last time because of missing cookies?? I tried sending this but got another error message: Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you still here? or have you given up on me and my problem??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I noticed that my paypal payment has cleared the bank ... but I don't know yet if my problem has been solved??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Daniel, I'm so sorry ... I have to give up... I can't sit here any longer.. maybe tomorrow my back will feel better and I can go through this again. Thanks for trying to help and me and for your patience, Sue
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You have to click on the big red Accept button for me to get paid. What you see at PayPal is the record of your deposit.
I will look for you later,, just reply to this question do not start a new one.
And no I did not give up, I will stick with a problem as long as it remains unresolved. I was just away for a bit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daniel ... I did get off line but decided to try one more time ... still haven't resolved the bookmark problem. I do hope I can figure out how to delete all those bookmarks and why my history shows up when I click on show all bookmarks ... and I'm still not afforded the opportunity to delete them... I tested the open book AGAIN (have many times) and nothing happens ... the Accept buttons on my computer are Green :-) When I come back on line tomorrow do I start all over from scratch?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
No you don't have to start from scratch just reply to this question. I did not know what color it was as I have not seen them. They keep me in a box and feed me 'stuff'.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still need to know how to go to bookmarks and be able delete all those bookmarks that I don't wand or need ... the one other problem was solved. I received an email saying I should accept because my 5 (?) questions were answered .. I thought I got it down to the 2 required questions .. first resetting my home page (which I did successfully-thanks to you) and 2nd the bookmark dilemma ... I don't want every site I go to to go into bookmarks and especially not be able to delete them. Is there a solution? I am so hoping that there is ... what do you think?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok Sue, lets do this one at a time.
In the drop down menu under Safari select Reset Safari. Put a Check in all boxes. Now While it still says Safari go to File and select New Window.
All of your history will be gone, all download history will be gone, all cookies will be gone, etc.
The Bookmarks (that is the small book on the left) are only what you put in them on purpose, they do not put themselves in there. So you will have to delete them one by one.
Every site you visit does not go into your bookmarks. The only way they can be bookmarked is if you choose to make a bookmark.
There are some sites that have a button to automatically put a bookmark in your bookmarks. Do not click it.
If you do not want a history of the sites you visit then turn on private browsing. Then there will be no record of where you go.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daniel, Thank you so much for your help and patience. Best wishes, Sue
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.