Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

My HP LazerJet 4050N printer displays this message 82.180

My HP LazerJet 4050N printer displays this message: 82.180 EIO 2 ERROR. What's the problem and how do I fix it?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will try your suggestion. If it doesn't help, what is the next step?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

I see you replied to someone, but I do not see what they sugested.

Could you repost that answer/suggestion so I do not repeat anything that was already suggested.

I have a 4050TN and can test some things on it, so let me know and we can try to sort this out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Mike,

I was working with ryanh, but lost him. My HP LazerJet 4050N displays a    82.180 EIO2 ERROR. Ryanh suggested that I power off the machine and remove and reseat the JD card in the back of the printer, turn the power back on and wait two minutes. I did this but got the same error code
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Great, thanks for that.

Since that is step 1 in this process, let's move on and see if we can narrow it down further.
The following is from this discussion thread.

Do each of these (if you can/is applicable):
1. Reseat the jetdirect card on a different slot and see whether the issue still persist.
2. Remove all the accessories from the printer and then power on the printer. See whether the issue still persist. If the issue does not persist, add on the accessories onee by one.
3. Power on the printer and check whether the issue persist, each time an accessories are added.
4. Swap the Jet direct card with a known good jet direct card and see whether the issue still persist.
5. Perform a cold reset and see whether the issue still persist.
COLD RESET:
1. Remove all cables.
2. Press & hold the Test button while applying power & continue to hold it for 10 seconds, then release it for 10 seconds, then unplug it again.
3. Connect all cables & power it back up.
4. Wait 2 minutes for discovery & DHCP. If desired, change the DHCP & address settings.

If it still is giving you troubles, then a new JD is in order.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

I'm following your suggestions. I have no accessories attached to the printer, so that portion of the process is unneeded. Unfortunately, I do not have another JD card. If I need one, where do I get one?

The first step is now complete. I reset the JD card in slot number one and the error code now reads EIO 1 ERROR. All I have left is the cold reset. By "remove all cables", do you mean the power cord too?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Accessories would be extra paper tray, envelope feeded, duplexer.

Yes, all cords including power.

You can get them from any HP authorized reseller/service provider, or look on ebay for someone selling theirs.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, Mike thanks for all the help. Just one more question. My printer has no "test" button to push during the cold test. What button do I push?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
On the 4050 it is the GO button.
I missed that in the steps.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thanks! I accept your answer with much gratitude.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Very glad to be of assistance.

Thanks for the Accept and please do come back.