Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

When starting the computer all I get on the screen is the mac

Customer Question

When starting the computer all I get on the screen is the mac apple
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This problem is normal with Macs. May be you have to do an Archive and Install i.e Reinstallation of Mac OS X. Before doing Archive and Install, we can try some troubleshooting steps :

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Turn on again and press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys.

Running Disk Utility From Mac OS Installation/Restore Disks

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  • When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
  • You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
  • Once on the Installer screen, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.
  • Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
  • Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
  • Click Repair Disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
  • Once completed, quit Disk Utility.
  • Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

If it didn't solved the problem, then you need to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Resetting the PRAM didn't work. After hearing the third start-up sound, I still just get the screen with the apple. Can't get the CD drive open to do a restore
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You can open the drive by ;
  • Restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button.
  • Restart your mac and immediately hold down the "eject" key on your keyboard untill the disc comes out.
  • Restart your mac and immediately hold down the left mouse button before the chime sound/grey screen appears. Keep it held down untill the disk comes out.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got the CD drive open and put in the restore CD. Tried to do a start-up by holding down the c key. All that came up was the apple.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Insert the disk 1 and turn off your Mac. Then turn on your Mac and immediately hold down the C key before the chime sound/grey screen appears. Don't release the key till it boots from the disk.

If it didn't worked then restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Option key. From the selection screen choose CD icon and press return/enter. This should boot your Mac from the disk.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Trying to restart it using the c key did not work. Grey screen with apple came up. tried it using the option key and a different key came up. in the middle of the screen was a hard drive logo on the right side was a right arrow key and on the left was a circular arrow. Hitting the hard drive logo just brought up the grey screen. Hitting the circle arrow just reloaded the same screen and hitting the right arrow key just brought up the same grey screen with the grey apple
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure the disk is still in good condition ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Restart your Mac and hold down the Command (APPLE) key and the S keys at the same time. You can see a unix text screen and if you are able to type, then type this :

Type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run. Let it finish. If it returns any errors, then run the command again. When it finishes, type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Also try to boot your Mac in Safemode

Be sure the computer is shut down. Turn it on again. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key (The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before). Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's never been used stored in a filing cabinet in its original holder. Tried it in another computer and it came up.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Please try my previous answer......
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried the restart using command s key.   Got a gray screen with a gray apple. Tried starting it in safe mode got the same screen - light gray background with a dark gray apple
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...i'm out of ideas. I will opt out and other experts will help you