Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

1. email --Wanting to get rid of aol. I use IMAP (Ithink)

1. email --Wanting to get rid of aol. I use IMAP (Ithink) thru my IMac G5. What do you suggets, yahoo or google. Do I have to use IMAP in order to get email on my mac? WHy do I use IMAP?

2. space -- what is best way and cheapest to "wipe my I mac G-5

3. Iphoto -- is there any way to clean up my photos now that i have a mess? Some got somehow duplicated, applegeniuses somehow gave me multiple libraries (same pics)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Personally... good decision to dump AOL. I use Google Gmail. It works 99.999% of the time. I use it as IMAP because of my phone and latop need to be in sync with my desktop at home.

POP works as well if you only access from one computer and do not need synchronization with other devices. You can even set POP to leave mail on server and still be able to login to webmail from another computer and view your email.

If you choose Gmail email, make sure to go to your Account Settings window and look to see if POP/IMAP access is turned on. Gmail may have changed that behavior and has it on already. Yahoo does not allow POP access unless you buy into their yearly premium service. Otherwise you get Webmail only, not from your Mac in other words.

Wiping the G5... Do you have the original install disk? or a retail install disk of Mac OS X? Then all you need to do is boot from that disk, run the installer and when you go to choose your disk, you tell OS X to Erase and Install. That will give you a clean Mac with a brand new shiny OS X install. I can give better instructions if you like.

iPhoto mess... One, Open iPhoto, make a change to any photo (add keyword, caption) then quit. Now, get rid of any libraries you do not need by clicking once on each one and then going to the File Menu and choosing Get Info. In here, look for the Last Modified date. If it is not today, trash that library and move to next one. When you find one modified today, that is your GOOD library and you need to keep that.

To remove duplicates and other items in the Library itself? That takes a personal touch and you will need to go through the libray in iPhoto and remove the pics by hand.

While there are utilities out there that claim to find dupes and allow you to remove them, I have heard of many times they either identified nothing or they identified pictures and then when they were deleted, it was found they were not dupes at all.

So, doing by hand, although tedious, will guarantee that you have to pics you want and the Library will be organized the way you want.

I hope this answers your questions and gets you started.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NEed to take time to read thru this later today - hang on
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure what POP is.
What is IMAP and why do I use it/need it?

If I wipe my Imac, what will I be left with?
What about my pics, docs, etc.
Does wiping wipe out everything??
Baby steps...
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

POP is Post Office Protocol. This is how Mail servers on the Internet communicate with our clients and other servers to get and deliver mail to you.

IMAP is Internet Message Access Protocol. It is a different way of delivering mail. Does basically the same thing as POP, but the Mailboxes are live. As soon as a new email hits the IMAP inbox, your client on the Mac knows about it. This one is great for use with multiple Macs, iPhones, keeping the same mailbox on all of them in synce.

So, you use POP if you have 1 Mac and do not roam around with it. You use IMAP if you have more than one Mac/iPhone/Smart Phone and you want them all to stay in sync with the email.

As far as wiping, in the trues sense of the word, yes. It will erase everyting on the hard drive, leving you with a clean empty drive. Then you re-install OS X, update it, and then re-install Applications, setup your printer, email and other stuff.

Not fun from that point unless it was absolutely needed.

You would have to backup everything and then do the wipe. Then you can put stuff back (most of the time, some apps require installing).

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not the best anwers, did not get help here.