Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a Panasonic DVX 100A - the video on the camera looks

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic DVX 100A - the video on the camera looks a mazing - once it is downloaded it look terrible. What am I doing wrong.
I'm using MacBook pro with OSX and final cut express
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to get this figured out.
I would like some clarification first.

Is this the first time you have used this Camera?

Have you used FCE and or iMovie for other projects? If so were the results good or not so good?

Can you tell me the settings for FCE, in both the User preferences System settings and Easy setup? These are in the drop down menu under Final Cut Express.

What version Mac OS and FCE are you using?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes - first time with this camera
yes I have used FCE and Imoviebefore
User preferences I never mess with They are the default ones
Easy set up is set to all formats / all rates / dv-ntsc
mac OS X 10.5.7
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK. I would now check the Camera settings. I say this because while it looks good on the tiny screen once you get it on a bigger screen it gets fussy. You mat be able to resample the video and clean it up some.
Let me know what you find in the Camera settings. There should be low, medium and high resolutions for recording.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Everything on the camera is good (settings are sp/lp) if I use the camera as a VCR to play the footage through the television it looks fine. It looses resolution between the tape to hard drive conversion.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I will have to get back to you as the site is having issues right now.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I don't know if your camcorder has USB or not but if it does then try using that. I looked at the Camcorder compatibility for FCE HD and your model was not listed.
If you have an older camcorder that can bridge from the new to the computer and see if there is an improvement. Kinda round about but a good test.
Another test is to make a short movie and play that on the TV or DVD player on the computer. I find that I get surprised at how lousy
If the camera is equipped with USB I would try to connect it that way.
I have looked at the camera compatibility list for FCE and your camera is not listed.
Another thing to try is using a bridge to go from the camcorder to the computer (a hassle I know but a good test), it may be you have a camcorder that can do that.
Another way to see if what you are seeing is an illusion is to make a short movie and test it with DVD player. It may be a FC fluke. There was an update today for users of FCE HD and that may fix it also.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been looking elsewhere - i have tried these things and I am just looking for the proper setting to get the video off the DV tapes as clean as possible. I really need someone who knows how this is done with the set up I have. I have searched the internet as well and found the same things you are suggesting. thank you
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I had nothing more. Good luck