Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi, I have a MacBook - got it last year. It crashed today saying

Customer Question

Hi, I have a MacBook - got it last year. It crashed today saying there was an error. Now it wont let me get past the login page. I've tried inserting the re-install discs and it doesn't seem to be reading them. At one point there was a folder icon with a question mark on it. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to get your MacBook running.
I would like to know if you remember what the error was, if you remember approximately what it said that would help.
Were there any other unusual things that happened before it quit?
The more detail you tell me the better I can help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

I had downloaded some music and dragged it into my itunes - it said there was an error and that macintosh hard drive couldn't download it or read it. I forget exactly what it said. But then it kept freezing so I restarted it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Then this is what I want you to do.
Insert the install disk #1 into the CD drive.
Turn off the MacBook by pressing the power button.
Then start it up and press and hold the 'C' key.
Do not let go until you see the window that asks what language you want to use.
Click continue to the next page and at the top of the screen you will see menu items.
Click on Utilities and select Disk Utility.
The picture below will show you how to repair the permissions.
graphic
Do this and then quit Disk Utility and quit the installer to restart the MacBook.
As soon as the screen turns black press and hold these 4 keys.
'Option'
'Apple' (same as command, the one between option and space)
'R' and
'P'
Wait for 4 start up chimes then let go and let it start normally.
Please let me know the results.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done this repeatedly and held C and nothing happens. It keeps going to the login page. What do I do?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK we will go to the next step.
  1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's battery.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
  4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
  5. Press the power button to restart the computer
  6. As you are starting the computer hold the 'C' from the black screen. Then do the instructions as outlined above.
Let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I did all of that and held the c button and still went to the login page.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Please explain to me exactly what you did step by step because something isn't adding up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I took out the battery out and pressed the power key for five seconds, then put the battery back in, plugged in the power cord, restarted the computer with the disk in, holding the C button and it went right back to the login page. It never seems to read the disk ....
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK at this point it is time to take it to Apple.
If you bought the machine before Aug 3rd the warranty is still good.
If today is the anniversary date then goto Apple.com and buy Applecare for the MacBook and register it then take it to Apple.
If these options are not available then look around for a qualified Apple tech (not Best Buy).
This is as far as I can go because your machine is not responding as it should be.
Sorry I can not fix this without touching it at this point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks Daniel. Will do.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You come back if you have another question.