Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

replaced Hard drive, disk drive, RAM, airport on iMac G4 17 .

Customer Question

replaced Hard drive, disk drive, RAM, airport on iMac G4 17". I get the flashing ? on startup which is expected. However the Mouse lights up, but there is no keyboard functionality. no lights, cannot boot from disk or anything. Already reset PMU with button on bottom.

THe problem is the keyboard is not working. Tried two different usb keyboards.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

First question is why so much was replaced?

How is mouse connected? to Keyboard? or to iMac?

I am assuming you tried each of the USB ports?

Did you do any other resets?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was just an upgrade. The disk drive failed so I figured while I was in there I could replace everything.

Mouse is connected via usb, and it lights up through ANY usb port, including the ports on the keyboard or any three of the ports on the iMac.

I cannot perform any other resets because the keybord is not functioning
(that I know of).

And I was wrong it is a 15" screen.

Let me know if there is any other info I can provide.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Oh, its a lamp shade?

I forgot to ask... when you turn it pn and get a screen, does the mouse move around the screen?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No movement. Just the flashing ? and finder icon... And the light on the mouse so I guess that means power?

Holding the mouse button does not eject.

Thank you for your help and getting back with me. I do plan on paying once the issue is resolved.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Don't worry about paying.

Ok, since you were inside that Mac, I am going to say you have a cable partially connected and it is not getting any signals through some pins.

I would take it apart again and then make sure all connectors are secure, make sure no pins were bent or broken as well.

That's about all I can do because without any keyboard, we cannot do anything like PRAM or Open Firmware, so going back in and making sure those connectors are good and secure is about the only advice I can give you.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats exactly what I was planning to do. But before I opened it up again, I wanted to make sure there wasnt some reset or other thing I was forgetting.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No, without keyboard, there aren't any you can do.

So, it just seems the only thing is to open her up again and check carefully anything you touched.

Good luck with it.