Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I was working on a document in Microsoft Word for Mac 2008

I was working on a document in Microsoft Word for Mac 2008 and have lost all my data.
I think everything got moved to the scrapbook and then the document was saved.
When I open recent documents, I see the correct file, but the mac cannot find it.
Is there a way to open a previously saved version?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

When you saved the file, did you at anytime use Save As and make a new copy with a different name?

What were you doing at the time it seemed to disappear? You mentioned being on the clipboard. Was it a copy/ paste that might have gone wrong? or did something just happen?

Try to describe what happened just before and then after and I'll see what might be available to us.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry to take up your time.
I really don't know how this happened. I was researching the tutorials in the Word program and somehow lost the document I was working on.
I had saved it several times throughout the day but I couldn't find it anywhere.
As a result of this mishap I've purchased a time capsule for my apple time machine so this won't happen again. Live and learn.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
I am SO glad to hear you say that.
Backups are very important.

But another tip for you... Do a Save as periodically as well as making Apple-S (command -S) a part of your normal typing. That way you create a trail of copies with your edits in them. Trash them when you know you do not need them anymore, and, when you do the Save command as you type, you will always have a current version.

I've seen Word do this way too many times and I advise anyone using that app to follow these simple key commands to be safe.

Time Machine rocks. Good Call.