Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have had a mac mini for two and half years, for the past

I have had a mac mini for two and half years, for the past six month my computer screen would go black, but my mac light would be on. I would have to restart. Sometimes it does this several times a day, our other is may do it once a week. What is causing this
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hmmm, this is odd. I just don't hear this issue with Minis that much.

I am thinking it is going to be related to hadware, but what i am not sure. It could be the Display is going out and the Mini is fine. It could be the Mini is locking up and the display thinks the Mini went to sleep and goes dark.

I suspect you are leaning to the Mini and not the display. So am I. I would like to see the console logs and maybe they will have a clue as to what is wrong.

So go to your Finder, click on the Go menu and choose Utilities.
In here open Console. This is a error log app that allows us to see what the Mac is saying about things, apps, hardware, etc..

I am interested in the System log.

Look in the log and you will see dates/times. Find one where you know it locked up and follow it until it starts saying things like starting service, starting up, loading this or that. Right before you see those, there should be some listings that indicate the Mac is in trouble. Something not responding, rrloading or respawning something, then it will either suddenly stop or it will say it is restarting or, even saying 'We're hanging here'.
Copy a bunch of lines before that type of line and then paster them to me in a reply here.