Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

on startup, my imac displays a blank screen and then a file

on startup, my imac displays a blank screen and then a file folder with a question mark on the folder. now what do i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I'm Ashik. I think i can help you
The question mark (?) means that your Mac was unable to find the startup disk inorder to boot your Mac OS. This is because of either the Mac OS system files are corrupted or failure of hard disk. In your case, we need to find, if it is a software problem or hardware problem. So you need to reinstall your Mac OS, basically it is known as Archive and Install.

Before doing Archive and Install, we can try some troubleshooting steps :

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Running Disk Utility From Mac OS Installation/Restore Disks

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  • When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
  • You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
  • Once on the Installer screen, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.
  • Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
  • Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
  • Click Repair Disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
  • Once completed, quit Disk Utility.
  • Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

If it didn't solved the problem, then you need to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks