Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I want to install a surveillance app to my daughters MAC however,

Customer Question

I want to install a surveillance app to my daughters MAC however, she set the MAC password. Is there anyway around that without re-setting her password?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is version of Mac OS X, that your daughter is using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

Can you log-in into your daughter's Mac ?

Do you have an another Mac ?

Could you please give me the name of the "surveillance" application that you are trying to install ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

Glad you took my call, Version 10.5.7, and yes I'm logged into the machine just can't install the Spector pro surveillance application. I do not have another MAC, only PC.

My wife and I are very concerned about our daughters activities on the Internet, if you can solve this "install" issue without having to change her password, I will give a nice bonus.

Thanks and I look forward to your support!

Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You can't install application without the password. But i have an idea ! Could you please give me the download link/location that you downloaded the application...so that, i can check it on my Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

Here is the site http://www.macspysoftware.com/
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
one big problem..they are not giving trial version.

So could you please send the software to me, so that i can check it. Trust me, i will not use it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

I can't do that my friend. I have one license and to provide you with the application is not the answer. Explain to me why you would need to have the application to solve the install problem? The problem is a password XXXXX so I'm not following your logic.

Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Because password XXXXX XXXXX required to install application....if i have the software i will install it on my Mac, then i will give the installed application to you. So, you can just copy it into application folder and other folders...and there is no password XXXXX XXXXX to copy the files..!

I will look for more tricks and will reply back to you ASAP.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

Your logic is sound, however, I don't understand how that is possible. The installation needs to place itself on several locations throughout the pc, how is that possible by simply installing in another and copying the files over, is sounds like there would be too many locations where the files would need to be copied.

However, you have perked my interest. I'm still very serious about the bonus. If you answer this question for us, we will be very gratefull.

Now explain to me how by installing on your MAC we can move the folders over? That is an interesting approach, by the way, I amm an IT guys just not MAC savy.

Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Macs are not like PC, Macs will extract the application and its files mainly into
~/Applications/
~/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences
~/Library/Application support/

Please don't accept the answer !
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
And what is the file-size of the application ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Juan,
Do you have an another administrator account on your Mac ?

And what is the size of the application ? (Right click (Control + click) on the application setup file and choose "Get Info", you can see the file size on the "Get Info" window)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik, I just go off the phone with the Spector folks, I relayed what I was trying to do and they said it was impossible to transfer the files from one Mac to another since many of these are encrypted for that particular machine on which it is installed.    Any other Idea? Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Juan,

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't have another Admin account. The SpectorPro_Installer is 7.5 MB
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...right click on the "SpectorPro_Installer"...can you see a option named "Show Package Contents"
(If it is dmg file then first mount it)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I see the following contents,

Info.plist
InfoB.plist
MacOS (this is a folder)
PkgInfo
Resources (this is a folder)
SharedSupport (this is also a folder)
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Search all sub folders in there, if you can find the application file then you are lucky. If you can't, then i'm sorry, the only way is reset the password XXXXX install it.

Please don't click ACCEPT if it not worked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

I found within the MacOS folder the spectorpro exe. Is that what you are referring to?

Juan,

Don't give up on us!! :-)
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
What ?? exe...file???
hmm..exe files are windows executable files and how it there ???? confusing !

Drag the file into desktop and try to open it..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

It is a unix executable, at least it is labeled such. I open it an it executed and stoped, it was looking for Info.list file, which is in the contents of the folder where I pulled it from.

Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
okay...so it is not an application file...i'm sorry, you need the administrator password XXXXX install the software. Again, i'm sorry...i couldn't help you. I will opt out and other experts will help you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

I was so sure you would be the one to help us. thanks for the support, you are a good man!

Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for that...You too are a good man. I'm sorry for wasting your time. Have a great day.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,

It was I who wasted your time my friend.

Thanks again!

Juan
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
No problem...friend
Good Luck !
Bye for now.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

After reading through this I have to come to the same conclusion. Either force a reset of the password XXXXX then install it, or get the password XXXXX her and install it then.

I have a 13 year old daughter and I do not allow her to lock me out of her Mac. I know the password XXXXX the last time she tried to reset it, I took the laptop away for a month.

Now she knows I watch her goings on so I don't worry so much, but I would just tell her, give me the password XXXXX lose it. Harsh, but thats why kids (say) hate us. They don't realize how much we want to protect them.

Sorry to be so blunt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

I'm a recently retired Command Sergeant Major, spent 30 years in the Airborne Infantry, three as an Infantry Drill Instructor. Though I appreciate the "blunt" idea, my kids are simply immune.

I really want to know who is talking to my little girl, I don't want for her to cut the communication because she knows she is being monitored. I want to catch the (possible) perpetrator and stop that person from doing this to anyone.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX made a great Infantryman (if you were not!)

Juan
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Infantryman? I wanna be a Command Sargent Major. Great rank title!!

Ok, lets try this, How do you apply updates and such to her Mac? To do that you need the Admin password. So, when was the last time you told her you needed to update the OS X or software?

If it's been awhile, you could use that as a ply, get her password XXXXX you need it to install the os upgrades and you'll need about an hour. She will get bored and hopefully leave you with the Mac.

Install the software and give it back telling her all the great things the upgrade will do. She will not care. Meantime you have installed your spy software and, if you want, turned on screen sharing and turned off the show icon when being watched.

Now you can actually watch her work without her even knowing you can see her desktop and what she types. etc... Maybe better than the spy software.

What do you think Major?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

Good social engineering idea however, my daughter is very sharp. I think the best route is to simply wait till she goes to the movies and reset the password.

I'm sure that when she gets the msg that she needs to add updates, she will know I've tampered with the machine but will not know what I have added. As a matter of fact, I might just use the ploy that I've installed Lojack, and actually install it!! What do you think? I really would much prefer to retrieve her password, what happened to the days of Warhammers? :-)

Juan
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ha ha... War hammers. HAve not heard that in a while.

Well retrieving is next to impossible without the user telling you.

Resetting is easy with the Install disk that came with the Mac. LoJack idea is a good one, It does help and could mask the real purpose of the install. Maybe tell her that and do both at the same time.

If she asks what that is, tell her they both work together.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

Will try tomorrow, will update on results. Thanks!

Juan
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Great.
I'll be in and out today, but will check in if you reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

I'm back buddy, and no you did not answer my question yet. So let me ask this, I'm still trying to get by without letting my daughter be the wiser to the fact that I'm loading this software. I used the install disk in order to bring up the change password XXXXX I was surprised to see a listing for two other accounts, the System Admin (root) and a d guest account.

However, even when I log my daughter out, I can not see the system admin root account. I did change the password XXXXX it, do you know of a to boot and enter the system through the System Admin account? Command line maybe? Help
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Friend,
Mike can't answer your questions...i think you accidently opted out him. I'm sure he really want to help you. So, opt him in or create a new question, requesting to Mike.

(You can create a question like, For Mike - Your question...)

Best Regards,