Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

iMac AirPort Utility does not recognize or find the Ti

Customer Question

iMac 'AirPort Utility' does not 'recognize' or 'find' the Time Capsule ... but the MacBook does! TC light is solid green & "Shared", on MB. OS X are up-to-date, as is TC Firmware via MacBook. All 3 items within arm's length of each other. Solid WiFi to both off TC. Want TC to B/U iMac, not MB.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will give you my best effort to help you.
I am working from my iPod so it is difficult to refer back to the question.
Would you please tell me the following?
How new is the TC?

Did it ever work with the iMac?

Have you run Apple updates recently?

Are both machines trying to use TM on the TC?

Have you ever repaired your permissions?

Are both Macs using the same OS version?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good questions
Yes, long long ago ... but it was "troubled", i.e., inconsistent and, eventually, unresponsive. Although it ALWAYS supplied wireless internet connections.

I run Apple system updates MORE than weekly! On the MacBook, the iMac and the PowerBook wich has SUCH a crappy so-called wireless service that it requires a) Ethernet and b) storage in the closet.

Earlier the TC was ONLY on the iMac. It is operating at this very monent, remotely, on the MB ... backing up 6 months of drivel.

Permission NOT repaired this month (01 Aug, hah had) Probably did it last month (JUly). REAL BIG into updates on everything (Apps, Forefox, 1Password, etc.) ! Plus TechTool, etc.

Both (all 3 ... ) OS X 10.5.7. and iPhone 3.0.1 (7A400)

I'd give up except that the TC was $$$$ and the idea is ultra-cool!
AND it works for Internet.

I am patient, by the way. I've fooled with this after work WAY too much but I am a MacGeek at heart ( ... 20 yrs)!

Tony T

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
So to the best of your knowlage the hard drive in the TC works?
How is the TC hard drive formated? Apple Partion Map or GUID?
If I understand correctly you used TC with the iMac over ethernet.
I will have to get back to you in a moment as I have a small emergency.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You say an orange light is flashing. Orange light on what?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The TC HD seems to work i... it is accepting 100GB 2009 BU off the MB!
Seems ultra happy!
No, I used the TC in Belrin off the the WiFi (been so damned long since it worled that I foregt! ... I was in TN (?!) for for months which is how I bought the MB in Nashville (too much info, I know))

Orange WAS flashing ... right now solid green (after accessing from MB! Once I accessed it from MB the prompts were just like they should be. iMac is "blind") and MB sees it and iMac does not.

Way too many mysteries.

As I wrote ... I am not pushing you. Willing to work with the program.

TT in Savannah

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
This is something you have probably already tried.
Press the 'Option' and click on the TM in your menu bar.
This gives the option to browse for Other TM disks.
Just a thought.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Using "alt" key ... often termed Option on other keyboards (who throught THAT up? ..had to go to MB to see what's what) ... does nothing using AirPort "Rescan"

So you can see why I am head-sratchin'!

If the TC showed in the desktop, well, hell .. rock n roll.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So you can see why I am head-sratchin'!

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I don't mean rescan, I am talking about the Tm icon in the menu bar.
If you have that check box checked in the sys prefferences.
I think that option can be used in the sys prefs.
I will have to continue when I get to my computer in 2 hours. My iPod battery is going dead.
I will reply when I can.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK, I am now at a machine that I can really get some answers for you.
What version TC firmware are you using(7.4.1 had some issues with connecting) and you may want to go back to 7.32.
I have something for you to try (if you haven't already).

Turn off your iMac and Time Capsule.

Temporarily connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the TC directly to your computer.

Power the Time Capsule up first for a few minutes, then your computer. Now open AirPort Utility to see if it can "see" the TC.

If no luck at first, leave AirPort Utility running for 10-15 minutes and try again. Often, the TC will just "appear". See if that helps.

Keep the ethernet connection. Once you have AirPort Utility open, try going to the File menu way up at the top of the screen next to the Apple icon and selecting "Configure Other".

Enter 10.0.1.1 and your Time Capsule password (not your wireless password) to see if that works. If you are using the 192.168.x.x range on your network, you would enter 192.168.1.1

If still no luck, it' time to return the TC back to factory defaults with a hard reset and reconfigure the device. The usual method to hard reset the TC is to hold in the reset button until the XXXXX XXXXXght blinks rapidly and release.

If this still won't work, power down the TC and let it rest a few moments. Hold in the reset button and keep holding it in while you plug the power back in. Release the reset button after approximately 10 seconds.
Let me know if this is of any help.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Give yourself a pat on the back

the "10.0.1.1" plus my TC password XXXXX the secret. Why? Dunno.

Sorry being late replying ... dinner ... work (God forbid)

Thanks! Good thinking.

TT
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. Should you or someone you know need assistance we are here.