Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

We have 3 printers - 2 are HL 5240 and one is an HL 5250.

Customer Question

We have 3 printers - 2 are HL 5240 and one is an HL 5250. Every once in a while they will fail to feed paper and will emit a loud clicking sound. We have usually been able to resolve the issue by a combination of taking out the paper tray, taking out the toner cartridge and recycling the machine, sometimes even restarting the computer. This last time none of that seems to work. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

This is reminding me of my Apple LaserWriter and HP LaserJet repair days.

This sounds like the Pickup rollers are worn to the point they no longer have enough rubber on them to grab the paper. So you hear the click but no paper gets pulled through.

One trick we used to do was get some rubbing alcohol and pull out the paper trays. You look inside that compartment and hanging from above where the tray would be is a roller, maybe 2. You can reach in there with a cotton swab, sturdy paper towel or something similar that will not come apart when wet, and gently rub the roller and then rotate slowly in the direction it alows you, and keep rubbing.

This does 2 things. It causes the roller to swell slightly and also cleans paper dust off.

Fill the trays to almost full, about 4/5ths and try to feed paper. If this does not work, you'll need them replaced.

Hope this helps,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'll give it a try. The most troublesome machine is at my friend's house, so I can't try it now, but it sounds like logical. Is there any way to respond later to let you know?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Yes, just come back to JA and login. Then you will see a My Questions link in the upper right. Click that and then click the link for this question.

Also, all emails pertaining to this thread have the link in them as well.

Let me know,