Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

when starting up the mac it shows just the apple logo in grey

Customer Question

when starting up the mac it shows just the apple logo in grey on screen
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
This problem is normal with Macs. May be you have to do an Archive and Install i.e Reinstallation of Mac OS X. Before doing Archive and Install, we can try some troubleshooting steps :

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Running Disk Utility From Mac OS Installation/Restore Disks

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  • When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
  • You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
  • Once on the Installer screen, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.
  • Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
  • Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
  • Click Repair Disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
  • Once completed, quit Disk Utility.
  • Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

If it didn't solved the problem, then you need to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have just done all

When I inserted the disc it started to install, and now I can open the computer, but it looks like I have lost all my files

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nina,
Did you followed my instructions carefully...may be you did a Erase and Install, instead of Archive and Install...

Please reply !
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Ashik

It did not come up with any questions if I wanted to erase and install or Archive and stall, it started to install right away after the disc went in

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nina,
Thats will give you choice to Erase and Install, Archive an Install will give you choice to select hard disk etc, it will give you choice to select Langue etc. But HOW ??

I'm sorry, i don't know what happend ?

I'm very sorry for deleting your files...apologies !

(Please don't click ACCEPT if you are not happy with my answer)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Ashik

The interesting thing is that I still got Microsoft Office that was installed 2 years ago....

I did have to choose laungue, but then it went into installing.

Is there anything I can do to get my files back. it's my daughter computer and she is in final year of high school and final exam in 2 months,..

Cya Nina

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
hmm..that was really weird..

Please check the files in here : ~/Users/[username/
If you are lucky, you can see the files in there

(Please don't click ACCEPT if the problem didn't solved)

Best Regards,