Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have imported some movies from my Hitachi cam corder, and

I have imported some movies from my Hitachi cam corder, and the imovie is not picking it up because the format of the movie is MPEG.
I have installed the software that came with the camcorder and the movies import into that section OK, but I can not seem to change the format of the movies, so I can transfer them into imovies???
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First you need to download a good freeware Software called MPEG Streamclip

Here picture-by-picture tutorial for "How to Convert in MPEG StreamClip", it worked successfully for me and i hope it will work for you too....

1 - Drag the MPEG file i.e you captured using Hitachi's softwares into the middle of the canvas/window....
graphic
2 - Now you can see the video in the MPEG Sream Clip's window
graphic
3 - Click on the menu File and choose "Export to Quicktime".
graphic
4 - On the "Compression" drop down option, choose the video output format, i choose H.263 (HD Quality)
graphic
5 - On "Quality", move the slider to increase the quality size. In "Frame Size", choose the best option you want and click the button "Make Movie". You will prompted to enter the detination place, so choose the place that you want save the converted file.
graphic

6 - You can see the progress of converting....
graphic
7 - After comverting completed, you can see the video file is converted into *.mov format i.e into quicktime format.
graphic

Best Regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If not, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In going threw the process of your answer, when I dragged the movie over to Stream clips, it said that I need to down load "Apple quicktime MPEG 2 playback component".

I'm gathering that is what I do, it costs $20 on the apple site?

Also if the new format for the movies is *.mov   is that going to be the right format for imovie?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply....just download the Flip4Mac (freeware version) and install it.
Then restart your Mac and try again, it will work....

Yes, *.mov formats are the required format for iMovie....

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Did it worked ? Very curious....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, i have downloaded that and restarted the computer.

Still, when I'm trying to drag the the folder over to streamclip, I noticed your folder is the actual image on the file, mine is just a white square with the Q cymbol for "Quicktime" and MPEG under it.

I drag it over but the picture does not come up on the streamclip window, it's just not going over.

I am in ALL Movies section and it has mpg. under each movie folder
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
hmm..thats weird !

Can you send a sample clip of the MPG file to me, i need to check it.

you can upload the video file in www.rapidshare.com and post the download links in here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
30-11-2008-70.mpg

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted. It wouldn't copy and paste the cymbol

It seems to have quicktime as the default to open it, but it says that I still need Apple quicktime MPEG 2 playback component".
I did try to open it threw streamclip with no success.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
i want the video clip, just upload any video file (MPG only) into www.rapidshare.com (file sharing). When you completed uploading, you'll get the download link of the file that you uploaded. Please copy and paste the download link in here :

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
got it...downloading. I will reply back ASAP

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I succesfully downloaded it and i can convert the video files without any problems...

I think the problem is that, you may not installed Flip4Mac properly. So download it again, mount the image file (dmg) and install it again.

If that didn't worked then i have another freeware software for you to try:
It is ffmpegX : Download Now

Thanks for your patience !

Only click ACCEPT after it worked
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
If the problem still doesn't solved then you must buy the MPEG Componet from Apple for $20....trust me, it will work.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delays in my reply, I've been really busy.
I will accept this answer so you can get your money.
Thanks for your help.
I will download the Apple component and hope it works.
I did reinstall the other 2 downloads but it still didn't seem to work, so I will try the Apple one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for you reply...the Apple component will work without any problems. Good Luck !

Best Regards,