Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Why does Safari keep crashing

Why does Safari keep crashing?

What are you doing when it crashes

what websites are you on?

What is the version of windows?

Does IE do the same thing on the same site?

WHAT IS THE ERROR that you get?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It crashs saying "Safari has suddenly quit!" I Google seems to have started it. I also use Firefox if that is any help. I use no other internet except gmail, eBay, etc.
Can you go to add remove programs and take I google off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I really like I google. It shouldn't crash because of just that. Sometimes it is doing fine and then just quits.

What is the version of windows?

What is the make and model of the computer?

Do you have the latest versions of service packs and upadtes to safari and java?

What is your graphic card and what is it set to?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The computer is a Max OX Panther. I'm not sure of the Windows year because I got the computer from someone else. It is probably Windows 2000 but I'm not sure. I don't use Java. I never receive Safari updates. The graphic card I do not know because like I said the computer is not originally mine. The previous owner got it in 2004.
Hold down the windows key on the keyboard and press PAUSE BREAK. You will have a window pop up with system properties. Then you can see what the windows version is and you can check RAM amount. then click on the hardware tab and then device manager and you can see the video card. Let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a Mac and not a PC. Which key would I press? The Apple key?
MY bad! I did not see the MAC OS X I am going to transfer this to a MAC category and also bow out. Best of luck and thanks for using JustAnswer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need info on how to keep Safari from crashing. I have a MAC OS X computer. It is about five years old.

Sorry for the confusion.

Let's get you squared away.

When you open Safari, you crash when you visit Google? or is it when you try to use the Google Search bar near the upper right of the window?

Or does it crash no mater where you visit on the Web?

What version of Mac SO X are you using now? Go to your Apple Menu and choose About this Mac... tell me everything in there. It will help me find out what Safari you ahve and how to deal with it.

Let me know all of the above,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The computer is a Mac OX Panther. The version is 10.3.9. The processor is 1.25G. the memory is 512 MB.

Safari crashes when I google is up instantly. Otherwise it could crash sometime while I am using it. Sometimes it doesn't crash at all.

Let's try something then.

I assume you mean that iGoogle is your home page?

If so, we can change that so it does not load at start. Then we can try to reset Safari and maybe that will clear it up.

If Safari is open go to the Safari Menu and choose Reset Safari.

Check all the options in there and then click on Reset.

Safari will reload. Now go to the Safari Menu and choose Preferences.

Change the Home page to something else, like or whatever home page you might visit often.
Home page settings are in the General tab.

This should stop it from crashing.

iGoogle may have written some code into their home page there and it now is not compatible with that version of Safari.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I finally got Safari on long enough to sign out of I google. But is says if I restart it everything in there will be erased. I don't want that.
Are you referring to the reset?
Because it will erase all saved passwords, cache files, history, and whtever else is lited in that box.

It wil not erase any personal files or do anything to Mac OS X. It is just making Safari think it is brand new and never used before.

I know you want to keep your stuff, like saved passwords, but these file may be just what is causing the issue. You bookmarks will not be erased.

Also, staying away from iGoogle until you can either upgrade Mac OS X and get a newere Safari, start using another browser like Firefox, or, upgrade the Mac will help keep it from crashing.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I think I will stick with Firefox. If in a pinch I will do the other.

Thanks for all your help!

You are welcome.

Come back again.