Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

The DVDs that I rent and play on my Mac are blurry. If I

The DVD's that I rent and play on my Mac are blurry. If I expand to full screen they are
almost unviewable. So I am stuck looking at a tiny screen to watch say: PBS: Mystery!
or Black Books or Eddie Izzard.

Please tell me what I have to do to get my apple IMAC to show movies as crisp and clear
as possible.

Do I have to buy something? Do I need to get a new apple computer???
Hi, what iMac is this?

Please be specific.

Also, go into your System Preferences from the Apple Menu and choose Displays from the group of icons in there.

In Displays click on Display and tell me the Resolution number that is highlighted in there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Machine Name:iMac G5
Machine Model:PowerMac8,1
CPU Type:PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs:1
CPU Speed:1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):512 KB
Memory:1 GB
Bus Speed:600 MHz
Boot ROM Version:5.2.2f2
Serial Number:YD5040C5PP8

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 (the highest number shown)

Brightness: all the way to the right

Colors: Millions

Thanks for that.

I was hoping that the resolution had been changed. It would explain why it is fuzzy and not sharp.

So, if the rest of your iMac looks great, then we need to examine why the DVDs look so bad.

So, what do you watch them with? DVD Player? Or something else?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ummmm, there is a slot on the side of the computer,,,,insert disc, and

DVD Player appears
Ok, great. That's what I thought.

So, in DVD Player there are settings for how it reacts to the disk and how the movie is saved on the disk.

So, if you go into DVD Player and then go to the DVD Player menu and choose Preferences, you will see this:

This window shows the Full Screen settings preference. The third down under Displays tells whether to keep the video size as you enter full screen or leave it at the size determined by the Movie itself.

Now, click on HD icon and you'll see this:
Standard definition is defined here and it shold be set to Actual video size.

If set to Disk Default, it may try to show as a full screen movie but may be actually a widescreen movie. So it gets stretched, or blown up if it is supposed to be smaller, etc...

So, play with those settings and also try half size instead of full screen because that screen is big and these movies may not size properly so you need to change some prefs and try some different settings to get the pictures right.

And, some disk are different than others. so each movie may look better or worse.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cannot get into the DVD Player

when I press Menu, Not Permitted comes up.

I have a DVD inserted now, otherwise the DVD icon will not appear in the Dock.
Oh, sorry. Not that menu.

Go up to the top of the screen with your Mouse and the Menu bar appears up there.
Then choose Preferences from the DVD Player menu up there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just do not see anything called Menu at top of my computer screen.

Here is what I am seeing: a blue apple icon SAFARI File Edit View History Bookmarks Window Help

I've clicked on each of the above headings and none of them show a choice called Menu.

Yes. That IS the menu - Menu Bar. The menu bar contains Apple, Safari Edit, etc....

So, when you are in DVD Player, you go up to the Menu Bar, that's what we call that white or gray stripe, and choose from that bar the menu called DVD Player.

If you have a movie in, then the bar is invisible until you go up there with your Mouse.

If you do not have a movie in, then the Menu bar is always visible until a disk is inserted.

So you are correct, you don't have a Menu up there. All the menus have names.