Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have an IP5000 printer that Ive used for years attached

I have an IP5000 printer that I've used for years attached to G5 iMac. In May I replaced the iMac with a newer version. All works well, until today. I went to print an e-mail and it came out without black text - blank. Tried another e-mail with a prior message and that part printed in blue. So I played around, change the 6BCI-6BK cartridge, no change... oh, color pictures print just fine, no glitch in the color. Then I changed the BCI-3eBK cartridge, no change in performance.

I went up to the menu bar and tried different colors, all printed. I tried printing documents in Pages and in Apple works still... no text.

I heard from a tech-no savvy person here that in some cases you have to change out all cartridges, but that's not where all colors are separate. This person also suggested contacting you.... Good advice.

Any ideas?? ...Thanks

Bill

Bill Hunter
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can try to reset the printer settings into default...

1. Goto System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Print & Fax ( you can also open Print & Fax from the View menu)
  3. Control-click (Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..."

Only click ACCEPT after it worked...
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Step #3, there is no "reset printing system" shown, even though the printer is shown and highlighted. A Mac does not have a right and left portion of the mouse... it's universal. The window says "Canon IP5000... idle, default"
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
"A Mac does not have a right and left portion of the mouse", you are right !

But mac have the ability to right click and left click. Right click can be done by pressing control key on the keyboard and a normal click.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.5.7... Leopard. And thanks for the training... ;-) Will give it a try. Did it, followed the chain and am back to the original window. And it prints properly.

But, I came home last night about 10:30PM and it was all working properly then. Must be the little gremlins started minding. But I will hit "accept" as you taught me something and I can keep this for future reference.

Thanks... if you have any closing remarks I'd be glad to hear them.

Bill,,, alias Disiewillie.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bill,
My Pleasure ! Glad to hear that it worked....If you need any help, please come back again !

Good Luck !
God Bless you !
Have a great day !

And Thanks for Accepting my answer....

Best Regards,