Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I cannot remove file vault. Please help!

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

You need to free up space on that hard drive. There is no other solution except doing a clone of your hard drive onto a much larger drive and then trying to expand it, or deleting files or copying them off the hard drive that is full.

But that is the only solution. You must have free space to allow the files to be expanded as they have been compressed into that bundle.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could I move files to an external drive? Also I am able to access my external Verbatim drive with my new macbook pro but the old one (1 yr old, up to date operating system) does not seem to see it when I plug it in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes.

You can copy as much as possible off the drive now and then delete them (toss in Trash and Empty Trash).

That should get you enough space to expand the Vault and then migrate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any idea why my old macbookpro is not "seeing" my external drive? It powers up but does not recognize it is there.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm.

How do you connect it to the Mac? Through a hub? or directly?

Have you tried either side and still same? No show?

Is the drive self-powered? or does it have a power supply to connect to?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Connect with USB directly. It lights up but does not mount. Both sides are the same and it is self-powered. It works fine on my new mac.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ahh.

Listen to it.

Does it sound like it is whirring? or is there a muffled clicking or whir then stop then whir.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No sound, just lights.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yeah. Thought so.

I have the same issue with some drives on my 3 MacBook Pros.

See, some drives require a minimum amount of power and for some reason some MacBooks do not provide that much power and then the drive cannot run on that bus without either a dual-head USB cable or a power adaptor to connect the drive to.

I have 3 drives and 2 of them require the dual-head cable on 2 of my MacBooks and do not on the other. The third drive requires only a standard cable on all three.

It depends on the manufacturer and the model.

So, a solution is get a power adaptor for it, or get a dual head (data/power) usb cable and plug it into 2 USB ports.

Another solution could be a powered USB 2 Hub. That way you could just plug it in and the hub would provide enough power for the drive and any other devices connected to it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome

Please come back again.

And thanks! for the Accept and the Bonus!

Very much appreciated.