Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Safari often crashes- I have reset it several times, but

Customer Question

Safari often crashes- I have reset it several times, but want to upgrade what do I need?
Apple 20inch MAC OS X
Version 10.3.9 Panther
Safari 1.3.2 (2005)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Are you sure that the Mac is freezing only in Safari?

What exact Mac is this? iMac? PowerMac?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, Safari is the only problem
I have a IMAC with flat screen- round base with components
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Because I find it very (very) unusual to hear the Mac freezes because of Safari.

Mac OS X actually prevents that from happening so I believe you have another issue.

What upgrade did you want to do?

Mac OS X? or a new Safari?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is just Safari that causes the crashes
I would like to do what ever it takes to eleminite this problem
I was once told that I would have to upgrade MAC OSX from Panther in order to upgrade Safari?? Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Yeah, that is probably true. You will need to go to Tiger/10.4.x so you can get a lot closer in Safari versions.

We can try one more thing that is different than just resetting Safari.

Make sure Safari is not running.
Go to your Home folder and open the Library folder in there.

Look for the Preferences folder in the Library.

Open that folder and then find the file named:
com.apple.Safari.plist
Also delete any other com.apple.safari. files that are there (may not be any others)

Open Safari and see what happens.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I Dont understand your instructions-what you mean by Home folder? Sorry - Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Sorry.

In the Finder, go to your Menu bar and choose Go.

Choose Home from that menu.

In the window that opens (your Home folder), follow the instructions from above.

I sometimes get a little techy. Sorry about that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In finder- I found only   "side bar" no menu bar
In library I found only   safari- not the term you ask for
sorry for being so dense on this- I appreciate your patience Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hey no problem.

At the top of your screen, there is the menu bar. It ahs the Apple, File, Edit,.... etc, and a Go menu.

Choose the Go menu and in there Choose Home.

Then look for the Library.

Now you can follow the above.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In library,there are 34 items - l   safari - I clicked on that and up came 5 items
bookmarks.plist
history.plist
form values
download plist
icons
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Nope.

But your are SO close.

In that folder where you found Safari, look for a folder called Preferences.

Open that and look for the com.apple. file(s)

Leave the files in the folder alone that you found. Clsoe that and look again in that folder for Preferences folder.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found it in the preferences folder only one , but could not delete it
"no defaut appliction specified to open com.apple.safari.plisst
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No, You are trying to open it.

Just drag it to the Trash by clicking on it and holdng the mouse button down. Then while still holding button down, move mouse over to the Trash can, the file will come with the arrow, and drop it on top when the can changes to a dark color/gray.

You can also click once on it and then go to the File Menu and choose Move to Trash.

Then try Safari again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did as you suggested, then went back to Safari where I was before my e-mail to you, to continue my search for info. but the same thing happened, the little rainbow color wheel just continued to rotate, was unalbe to force quit, so had to use the button on the back to shut it down.
Was a good try tho and do appreciate your help and any further suggestions. Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Wait.

You had Safari open while you did the removal?

Now that you restarted and opened Safari again, is it still the same NOW?

Because that file, even in the trash, was still being used. Now that it is out of use, there is a new one. If this worked, Safari should be fine now.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I had Safari off, as you suggested- But still the same problem. Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Then barring any issues that may be with the files in that first folder you found, which may be possible, I cannot think of anything else to try.

I really thought we could settle this with that plist.

Do you want to try it without that folder in there? Just remove it temporarily? We can put back Bookmarks if they are ok, or remove items one at a time until it stops freezing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 85 years old and just about run out of steam, so will have to quit for awhile on this, maybe try again at a later date- I do appreciate your timand patience Thank You Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and I'll be here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
maybe just make a suggestion as to which programs I need to download   and how to do it. Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, to upgrade you will need a copy of mac OS X 10.4 / Tiger.

Then you will get updated from Apple automatically to the latest OS X (10.4.11) and the latest Safari that will work with that OS X version.

Since it replaces everything in the OS folders and the Safari will install new, it should fix the issue as well.

You can find Tiger at Amazon.com or some other online retailers. It can be pricey, so shop around before getting it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have checked around and find that Amazon seems to about the only one having his item
do you suggest the old version, upgrade, and new or used? Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi, used is fine as long as it is a retail disk.

You should also chek and make sure your Mac has a DVD drive. Either a Combo drive or a SupreDrive. It needs either one to be able to read the disk.

The version can be old or newer. We will update to the latest using Apple software update and get the latest... 10.4.11

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to uninstall my OSX PANTHER when I install the OSX TIGER
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No,

You will not uninstall anything.

It will upgrade you but ask to import the user into the new version.