Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have an ibook g4 running mac osx. I have installed an airport

Customer Question

I have an ibook g4 running mac osx. I have installed an airport extreme card. When I run diagonostics I see my home wireless network but when I click on it and click continue it says the network requires a password XXXXX but my home network is unsecured. There is no password. What do i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomerand thanks for choosing Just Answer again (and sorry for the delay). My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with this question.

First we need to verify that your network is really unsecure. Can you please tell me what kind of wireless router you have?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi it is a Belkin 802.11g wireless router. Can you check with the site administrators and see what happened to my previous question, thanks.
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer-

Below are generic instructions for viewing the wireless security settings for the newest Belkin router. If these instructions don't work please provide the exact model number of the Belkin you have:

1. Open your browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) and go to http://192.168.1.1.
  2. Click the Login button in the upper left hand corner.
  3. Leave the password XXXXX and click Submit (if you have configured a password, please enter that password XXXXX and click Submit).
  4. Under the Wireless heading, click Security. Your key, if one is being used, should be listed here.

As for your other question, looks like the Expert hasn't responded to your last few posts, so I will take over there as well. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay I opened the belkin site and went to security and there is no security key listed. It says security mode is disabled. does this help?
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

Yes that means you are correct and that there is no security on your network. OK are you sure you are connecting to your network? The name for you network is listed under the Wireless heading on the Belkin's configuration page (http://192.168.1.1). Make sure the name listed there matches the name of the network you are trying to join.

Make sure you have the latest updates for your MacOS as well (Apple Menu -> Software Update).

Let me know what you find about the network name and your software updates!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I am connecting to my home network. In fact I tried connecting to another unsecured network that was in range and got the same message requiring a password. I connected using an ethernet cable and downloade 15 software updates including one for airport and one for safari but alas when I attempted to connect wirelessly I get the same message requiring a password. What's next?
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.
OK when you go to join the network, next to wireless security, can you change it to none? Let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I can't
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.
What happens when you try? Is it just grayed out or do you get an error message when choosing None?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Erik. When I click next to wireless security I get the following three choices. WEP Password, WEP 40/128-bit hex and WEP 40/128 bit ASCII. There is no None choice. Here are a couple of bits of more info that I wonder if they will help. When I first boot up a window opens with a list of possible wireless networks for me to choose to connect to. If I click on mine and click join I get a message that says connection timed out. So then I can only get to the wireless security message by going through network diagnostics. Also I was looking online and when I bought my airport extreme card I only got the card and then I followed an online video on how to install it. I did not get any installation disk to go with it. Is that important? Hope this helps. You are awesome to hang in there with me.
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the replyCustomerand sorry for the delay in mine!

I would like to go ahead and setup security on the Belkin to see if that makes a difference. I will be honest and tell you I have never heard of this problem before! Please follow the instructions below and see what happens:

1. Open your browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  4. Under the Wireless heading, click Security.
  5. Under Security Mode, select WPA/WPA2Personal.
  6. Enter a password XXXXX want to use for your network in the Password (PSK) box.
  7. Click Apply and then try to join your network again using the Mac.

Keep me posted!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just checking Erik my belkin home page is 192.168.2.1 and my security mode only lists WPA-PSK(no server) with encryption type TKIP. Are these okay for me to go ahead and set a password? Thanks Steve. I promise a big bonus for all of your hard work.
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am sorry it is okay to set the password XXXXX there. Thanks and sorry for the delay in my answer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
darn no luck Erik. Interesting after setting the security password XXXXX then could not get my hp laptop to match up with the security settings and connect. So I disabled the security again. Here's a thought my wife also has a ibook g4 that came with airport already installed. She has always been able to connect to our network with no problem. Can you talk me through ways to compare her settings with mine? Or can you tell me how I can go about checking my airport card to make sure it is operating okay and installed properly? I am so confused. Steve
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

Hm. I am sure your Airport is fine after doing the system updates, so that shouldn't be the problem. I just had a thought though. I would like to try a firmware update on your router to see if that fixes the problem. Can you tell me the version and model number of your Belkin (it should be on a sticker on the bottom of the unit)?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay it's a belkin high speed mode wireless G router model# XXXXX version 1102. Any more thoughts on my other question about the computer I am locked out of? thanks
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

OK go here to download the latest firmware (you want the 2xxx version):

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7231-4&aid=6090&scid=221

and then refer here for instructions no how to update (under Updating the Router's Firmware):

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7231-4&aid=5947&scid=221

Will check on other question now, sorry about that!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oops when I ran the firmware update it said update failure you have attempted to install an incompatible firmware version router will now reboot
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

OK then you must need the 3xxx version. Same instructions still apply, just click on the 3xxx link instead of the 2xxx link. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wow version 3xxx doesn't work either. maybe I am living in the twilight zone huh?
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.

No it is my fault! Here is the correct link (you want version 1);

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7231-4&aid=5755&scid=0

Let me know!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay version1 of firmware update went through as it said it should but I still am having no luck with my mac. Now the airport diagnostics says airport failed (red) instead of green as before (it is turned on) and I am getting the password XXXXX again. My other g4 mac still connects just fine in the same room. Hope I am not driving you nuts. Please hang in there with me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
More info Eirk, I took ibook up to my school and tried to connect to that wireless network, it runs through a Linksys router and is secured and every time I entered the correct password XXXXX matter how careful I was all I would get was a connection timed out message. I really think it must be something about my particular ibook the settings or the card or something. What do you think?
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am beginning to think the same thing. Did you purchase the Airport from a Mac Store? If so it might be time to take it into the Genius bar and have them take a look. Alternatively, I can have this moved over to our Mac specific category. They don't really handle networking normally, but this is starting to seem more like a software/driver issue than an actual networking issue. Let me know if you want me to do that!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alas no I purchased the card on e-bay. Yes please if you think the Mac specific category might be able to help me I would greatly appreciate that. I also appreciate all of your incredible efforts. I will be accepting your answers in just a moment. Thanks Eirk
Expert:  mrcullen replied 5 years ago.
HeyCustomer- whatever you do DON'T Accept my answers or a Mac person won't jump in because they will think your problem has been solved. I am cool with not getting the Accept, I just want your problem to get fixed! I will be monitoring the thread to see what the resolution is! Been a treat working with you and sorry I couldn't get it going for you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you are the best man. watch for my update on the other issue okay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there any mac experts out there that can help me with this issue?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

After reading through the entire thread here (Eric did a great job), I have to come to the conclusion that that Extreme card is defective.

Buying on Ebay is a Duck shoot now a days. They sell anything with no remorse.

I feel you got a card that will not switch security modes and that is your base problem.

Aiport Wireless software is pretty good. I have not had an issue like this at all in all the time I have dealt with Airport. So, see if the card can be reurned as defective to the seller and get a new one from a dealer or another Ebayer with new in box for sale.

Sorry,

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting