Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Hi ~ 2 questions 1. I have an alias that keeps showing

Hi ~ 2 questions:

1. I have an alias that keeps showing up in my trash. I did not create it, and I've emptied it mutliple times, with no success. And strangely, it is dated 1903...? Where did it come from and how do I get this out of my trash?

2. When I sign onto my account, my itunes app opens automatically. I don't want it to. I want it to stay in my dock, but want to control when itunes opens... (or any app, for that matter.) I have already gone into system preferences, log in items, and deselected the app. No success. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks ~ R
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
We usually limit these to one question per topic, but I'll let you slide... Wink

As far as #1... Good question, let's do that last.

#2 When you say you deselect it, do you just uncheck the box next to the name? That only tells Mac OS X to open the App and hide it instead of bringing to the front.

What you need to do is click on the name, iTunes, and hit Delete key, or press the Minus - sign at the bottom, and remove the app from the list altogether. That will stop it from loading at startup.

Now, those aliases... What are the names exactly?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi ~ Thanks for the "slide". I won't be so greedy next time.   ;)

#2   I have done as you said. I have clicked on the minus, and removed the apps alltother. At one point, I had Safari and iTunes loading at startup, but I emptied that box (with that minus sign). Now, there is NOTHING in the box that says "These items will open automaticallyopen when you log in", and yet, they still open...

#1   The alias name ~ very strange, and looks something like this:

"\\\\\\\.\\\"    Dec 31, 1903, 4:00 PM      Zero KB      Alias

There are no letters/words where the \'s are... and the \'s are actually squiggly lines that look like they are made up of "microscopic" letters, unreadable to me. (I know that's alot of detail, but trying to be thorough. :)

I've tried to drag it out of the trash onto desktop in order to open it and "get info". But when I click, drag, and unclick, it simply dissappears. Then pops back into trash later. I've even tried to "empty securely". It makes the noise indicating that it is emptying, but doesn't.

Thanks,
~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

We may need to look deeper into your Library to see if there are any hiding in StartupItems folder(s).

Let's start with your Hard Drive.

In the Finder, click on Go menu and choose Computer.
In the next window, open the Macintosh HD (or whatever your Hard Drive is called).
In the Hard Drive, open the Library folder
In here, look for the StartupItems folder and open that.

Are the names listed in there, among others?

If so, drag to the Trash and Delete.

Now, that alias. Never saw that before. i ahve seen un-trashable aliases before and usually they are the result of an item trashed before that was dmaged on the drive and could not actually be deleted.

We can try something, repair the hard drive, to see if it helps the Trash remember what to do with that file.

Do you have your install disks for this Mac?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Mike ~

Startup Apps: The only items in my StartupItems folder are: HP IO and HP Trap Monitor

Alias:   For the life of me... I can't find my install disks for MAC...so sorry... (probably in the bottom of a box in the attick... :/)   Is there another option? download?

Thanks ~ R

ps... your help is beginning to value more than $13   ;)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Let's do a search and see how many of one name shows up.

Open a Finder winodw and in the search box on the upper right, type in Safari or iTunes.

See how many show up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow.

Under Safari: 25 (dates from Aug 2006 thru Today)

Under iTunes: 430 (dates from Aug 2007 thru Today)

~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Really!?

Ok, in that list, if you stretch the window open, click on each name, let's say Safari, and at the bottom of the window you will see a path. Where that particular file is.

Click on each one once and see where they are. If you see any that are in Library - [something] then note that and let's look at it closer.

What we are looking for is any that are in LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, StartupItems, etc...

See where I am going with this? There has to be one of each somewhere that is loading up at startup (you DID restart after removing them from the Accounts - Login Items riught?).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yep. Really.

Ok...

Yes, I did restart after. My Safari is now behaving, and waiting for me to click to open, but it's doing something different: When I open, it brings several "boxes" up for me to choose from. I'm not worried about this. I can work with that later...

But the iTunes icon is still "bouncing" it's way into the startup...

In Safari, the only item with a "Library" in the path are:

Safari, Folder, February 14, 2009, 9:57 am
path: Rhonda > Library > Caches > Metadata > Safari

In iTunes:

There is one named: Previous iTunes Libraries, Folder, March 15, 2008 4:46 pm
path: Rhonda > Music > iTunes > Previous iTunes Libraries

The paths for the rest are:
Rhonda > Music > iTunes > etc....

Next... ?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Wait...

Do you have an iPod/iPhone by any chance?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes...

I have an iPod. I use it extensively... (I'm kinda in the music biz - amateur.)

My husband has an iPhone, but he accesses it through his account.

~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
and....? are one or the other connected to the Mac when you restart or turn it on?

Because iTunes will open if it detects an iPod or iPhone connected to the USB port.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ah- HA! Eureka! That's the answer!
(oh, brother! duh... i feel kinda stupid now)
Thank you!

Now...
...on to the alias delimma...

Again, I am sorry, but I don't know where to locate my Mac install disks.
What now?

~ R (Customer)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, we can ignore it. Sometimes the Mac will fix its own mistakes.

But we would need either the retail OS X install disks that a friend or relative may have bought, or the original install disks from this Mac. If you know someone with an exact same model/speed, their disks may work as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Mike ~

Sorry for the delay in response. I left for the weekend, and did not check my e-mails while gone.

Can I have another day to locate disks, please? I want to keep our dialogue open, in order to remedy my alias challenge.

And in the end, will I have an option to add to the deposit to compensate for the resolution of my TWO questions?

Whatcha think?

~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes, and yes.

Let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike ~

Yeeee-Haaaw! I found my discs!

I have Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and Disc 2.

Is that what I need to get back on track?

~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is.

You insert the Install one disk and run the installer on that disk.

Then, it will restart and you can answer the language question.

On the next screen, go to the top of your screen and in the menu bar, choose Disk Utility from one of the menus.

Now click on the name of the drive itself and not the subset vlomue name that shows on your Mac.

On the right side, click on the First Aid tab and then click on Repair Disk.

Let me know what happens.

Quit Disk Utility. You are back at the Installer.

Quit again.
The Mac will ask to restart.

See if it helped.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!   YAAAAA-HOOOOOOOOOO! YAYAYAYAYAY!

MIKE!

You did it! That pesky little crumpled up ball of paper trash is OUTA-THERE!!

Thank you so much!

WHEW!   That was actually kinda fun! I learned alot!

So do you want to see the details of the repair that were in that box?... for your own info?

Or are we done now?

And... I want to add to the fee! Will it give me that option after I "accept"?

Whatever the case... thanks sooooo much, for your patience, and clarity!

Happy Camper!
~ R (Customer)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes, if thats ok.I would like to look them over.

And glad it got fixed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I will type them out as best I can:

On drive: 298.1 GB WDC WD3200...

Verify and Repair Volume "PC"
** /dev/disk 0s3
** Phase1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
/.Trashes/501/starts with cross-linked cluster (45228)
Remove? yes
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
22324 files, 77544 KiB free (19386 clusters)
******* FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *******

Does any of that make sense to you? Hope it is helpful.

Do I say goodbye now?

~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yep... this one.

The Trash directory had a file that looked like it was actually in 2 places on drive. It fixed it when you typed in Yes.

Good job. Glad it's over.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You're the BEST!

I'll ask for you again next time!

Smiles!

~ R
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting