Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

I have a Macbook with Leopard 10.5.7 and an HP c4280 All in

I have a Macbook with Leopard 10.5.7 and an HP c4280 All in One Printer. I cannot get the printer to work through my router. It tells me the Printer is Offline. What do I do to get this to work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomerand thanks for using justanswer.com

How is the printer connected to the network?   This printer I believe only has a usb port

thanks for any information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The printer is connected to the router through the usb port.

Thanks, Customer
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
What kind of router is this ? Airport extreme?? thanks for the info
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My router is an Airport Express. Hope you can help--thanks
Model number is XXXXX thanks again
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Click on the Apple in the top left and choose System Preferences

Click on Print and Fax

Click on your printer and press the minus sign to uninstall it.

Click Ok and then click on the plus sign to add your printer again

Your printer should show up in Default tab and click on Add

Let me know if this works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I clicked on the HP printer and pressed the minus sign to uninstall but then it was no longer in the Default Printer tab so I could not add it back. Now what?

Thanks
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
After each option try to add your printer.

Option 1:

Unplug your router (airport) for a few minutes and then plug it back in.

Wait another minute and then try to add the printer again.

Option 2:

Unplug and re-plug your printer into your airport express

Option 3:

Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of your dock. Click on Go at the Top and choose Utilities

Double click Airport Utility to open and click on Manual setup

Click the printers tab. Let me know if your printer is listed here.

Option 4:

Connect your printer directly to your computer to make sure it is working
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom, I tried to add the printer after options 1 & 2 and I went through the steps on option 3. The printer is not listed under the printer tab on option 3. It says, USB printers: None. I tried adding the printer from the HP Utility again as well and it still says the printer is not reachable. I have been able to print using the USB cable connected to the computer.

Next step? Customer
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
The printer MUST be listed under the USB printers tab in airport express in order for it to work from the computer.

Go back into the airport utility

At the very top choose Airport Utility and check for updates. Run updates if needed
Check to see if the printer is listed in the printer tab in the airport utility after the updates. If not proceed:

Restart printer and make sure printer is on.

Unplug usb cable from airport. In Airport Utility, Click on Base Station and then restart and continue
This will restart the airport express

Plug the printer usb cable in again. Go into Airport Utility and restart the base station once again. After the second restart the printer should show up in the usb tab.

As a Last Resort:

Do you have another usb cable to try?

thanks for your patience on this one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, that did not work. We have previously been able to print wirelessly when we had an Epson CX3200. When we tried to add the HP printer manually, we were not sure which address type to pick. Our options are iPv4, iPv6, Host Name (the one we picked) and Bluetooth.

Does any of this help? And thanks for trying to figure it out! Customer
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Actually once the printer is recognized by the airport, setup on your Mac will be pretty straightforward.
You will not need to chose any network settings such as IPv4, or 6 since the Mac is using a network protocol called Bonjour

Then click on Print and Fax

Click on the plus sign. Are there any printers being listed here?

If not let me see what I can find out compatibility issues with airport and your printer.

keep me posted
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom, There are 3 different listings for the HP printer now in the Print and Fax preferences. None of them seem to want to work, though. I had read about some incompatibility issues with this printer and the operating system but both scanning and printing work when the computer is plugged into the printer directly. I do not seem to be having the difficulties that were reported.

Let me know what you find out about compatibility.

Thanks again! Customer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom, our Airport Express is the 802.11b/g version.

Does that help?? Customer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom,
Are we out of answers for this problem? I will try checking with HP to see if they have any answers to this question. Just let me know if we are done - I will then send the payment,

Thanks! Customer
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately there is definitely probably an issue with compatibility or the usb port on the express is faulty but can't confirm unless you had another printer to try . It seems like others have been able to get this printer to work with the express though. The key to this conclusion was when the airport express says NONE next to printers. It will definitely need to list your printer there.

I would test your airport express will another printer if you can or take it to an apple store to confirm that it works ok before purchasing a different printer.

Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom,
Our Express was working with the printer we had previously (an Epson). We just installed this HP when the Epson died. (I had gotten the HP free with a rebate when I bought the MacBook.)

So if compatibility is an issue, I think I will contact HP to see if they have a solution or recommendations for a different printer if this one will not work with the Express.

Thanks for all your help! Customer