Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have just purchased a very fine Powermac G5 in an aluminum

Customer Question

I have just purchased a very fine Powermac G5 in an aluminum case, complete with Leopard installed through eBay

The machine works fine, but the seller does not realize that the drive bay for the DVD drive has not been cut open. The seller does not know how to open this aluminum case, and neither do I.

Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

I am really curious. What do you mean the drive bay has not been cut open?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your indulgence. As you can see, I don't know how to express this correctly, so I will spell it out.

In years past, I encountered computers with plastic cases that had places for a drive. All that was needed was to remove a screwed on strip of metal to open the bay.

Now I am in unfamiliar territory. This aluminum case with computer in it presents me with a place where a drive bay would be that is just an extension of the rest of the case with a smooth indentation that needs to be physically cut out to give access to a DVD drive.

The DVD drive can be heard to open inside the case. But until that indented piece is removed, the drive remains invisible, inaccessible, and unusable.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
So,You have a PowerMac G5, it is a large aluminim case with what appears to be doors on the front.

One of these doors does not open and you say there is a drive behind it.

Can you tell me the exact model?

Go to your Apple Menu and choose About this Mac...
Click on More Info button.

Click in the text on the right side and then select-all from the Edit menu.
Copy and then come back here and reply and paste that info in the reply.