Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

HOW DO I GET MY MAC MINI TO RECOGNIZE MY 2 EXTERNAL HARD D

HOW DO I GET MY MAC MINI TO RECOGNIZE MY 2 EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

What happens when you plug it into your Mac ?

Is it FireWire or USB ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LEOPARD- USBS.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Do have an another Mac to try ?

Did you plug it in a USB hub ?

Example
graphic
(Please don't type in all caps)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE FIRST HARD DRIVE WAS PLUGGED INTO A HUB TO MY OTHER MAC MINI
AND IT WORKED FINE FOR 2 YEARS NOW I'M USING IT FOR THETIME MACHINE BACKUP SYSTEM. THE OTHER WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB HARD D IS NEW AND I HAVE BOTH PLUGGED INTO USBS IN THE BACK OF THE NEWER MAC.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
just confused...

Which hard drive have problem and in which mac (in Mac mini)...?

Please don't type in all caps...it is very impossible to read !
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both hard drives on the mac mini operating with leopard system dont show on desktop when plugged in to usbs in back of mini.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
hmm...thats weird. We can try to reset the SMC and also reset PRAM & NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.
  7. Then reconnect your hard drive and see if it works or not !

Reset SMC (System Management Controller)
  1. Turn off your Mac. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord, hard drives and any display cables.
  2. Wait at least 15 - 40 seconds.
  3. Plug the power cord back in. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
  4. Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.
  5. Then reconnect your hard drive and see if it works or not !

Only click ACCEPT after it worked

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the command key located?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
command key is the "Apple key"
graphic

Only click ACCEPT after it worked

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Holding command control Pand R worked
thank you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for Accepting my answer and a million thanks for the bonus. Glad to hear that it worked !

Best Regards,