Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Which firewall cable to migrate files from Mac #1 (Serial #

Customer Question

Which firewall cable to migrate files from Mac #1 (Serial # XXXXX ) ( 8 pins ?) to new Macbook Pro 13.3" P/n MB990LL/A (4 pins?) Has 1 Firewall port 800. Advise source-item no. etc.
Also manual says can migrate w/ ethernet cable-Mac to Mac. Advise some instructions on doing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have your answer.
I advise using a firewire 400 to firewire 800 adaptor. Can be found at Apple online or in store.
The reason I recommend the adaptor is you will likely find uses for it in the future. And it is tried and true.

I think you are referring to migrating over a network. This can do the job but is more prone to errors.
You are probably chomping at the bit to play with your new toy. So run don't walk to Apple and get the adaptor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I"m not positive about the no. of pins involved--hence the data supplied. I'm tired of digging thru the web & hoping that my choices would be correct. I asked for specifics,not "Apple Store". Also note no instructions about using the ethernet cable MAC TO MAC . NOT THRU THE INTERNET.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
PS Forgot to mention that if I wanted to wait 10 mins. or less on the phone I could get answer from Apple Tech. Service. Ur choice was a mistake since its taken over 10 mins,. Lets forget the whole thing and cancel out,.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Dans answer was dead on.

That cable, a FireWire 400 to 800 cable is what you want. The Mac to get the files can be put into FireWire Target Disk Mode and then mounted on the older mac Desktop. Then it is simply a matter of copying the files over the cable. Very fast.

As far as the Ethernet, he did not say Internet. You did. He said Network, which is what an Ethernet cable provides access to. You connect the 2 Macs together with one cable and setup File Sharing on one and access it from the other. Again, fast, but has issues with some Macs not behaving.

So his answer was worthy, he did give you a specific cable to look for and a place to start from to get it.

Not sure why you rejected him so fast.

Good Luck,