Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Mac Power PCG4 wont sleep properly. Shuts off when told to

Mac Power PCG4 won't sleep properly. Shuts off when told to sleep. Will not restart with power switch unless you unplug computer, then plug back in. Battery replaced. PMU not reset. 3rd party sleep programs no help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

What have you tried so far?

I see you have used 3rd party sleep software, but you fail to mention whether you tried or your tech tried anything else.

Need to know so I do not repeat what you tried and waste your valuable time.

Also, need to know what specific G4 you have. This is key to knowing what hardware it is and how to work with you to resolve this.

Be as specific as possible.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike —
I hope this is still active with you. I've been out of town. My IT guy replied:
As for the G-4 here is what I did:

1.      Replaced the system board battery.

2.      After the battery was installed, hit the "PMU Reset Switch", which can be the source of 'sleep' issues occasionally.

3.      Replaced the hard drive with a larger 7200 RPM version, as the old one "sounded bad".

4.      Ran "verify disk" from Disk Util

5.      Ran "fix permissions" from Disk Util

6.      Installed "PleaseSleep" software so that the system would obey the sleep timer, which it was still adamant against doing!

As to G4 info, Processor is 1 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 MB L3 cache. In "more info" I have lots of info, but don't know what you are looking for. However, here's my best shot:
spata_device_model:     PHILIPS CDD5301
spata_device_revision:     Z1.4
spata_device_serial:     H930507A6NNNA
spata_device_type:     ATAPI

Hope that helps.

Computer is now shutting down when told to sleep from the pull down, or after about 15 minutes inactive. Restart requires unplugging/plugging in power cable, which sounds like PMA, but that button has already been pushed. Any thoughts?

Jeff
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike —
As for the G-4 here is what I did:

spata_device_model:     PHILIPS CDD5301
spata_device_revision:     Z1.4
spata_device_serial:     H930507A6NNNA
spata_device_type:     ATAPI

Hope that helps.

Computer is now shutting down when told to sleep from the pull down, or after about 15 minutes inactive. Restart requires unplugging/plugging in power cable, which sounds like PMU, but that button has already been pushed. Any thoughts?

Jeff
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Then I want to run some other tests the tech seems to not have done (maybe they did?). NVRAM and PRAM/Open Firmware aree ach different. We will reset PRAM and OF now.

Follow these:
To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R

The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

To Reset Open FirmWare (PowerPCOnly)

Turn off the Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys:
OPTION
COMMAND
O
F

Release the keys when you see the text screen

Type the following exactly, press return after each command:

reset-nvram (press return)
reset-all (press return)

The Mac will restart on its own.

Test and see if this helped.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wireless keyboard won't let me do this. I'll bring home a keyboard from work. It will be Tuesday before I'm in town again. Thanx for the info. I'll get back to you.
Jeff
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike —
Your fix worked! The old G-4 sleeps like a baby, and wakes up like she was brand new. Thanx for your help!
Jeff
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Great to hear!!

And thanks for the Accept. Very much Appreciated.

Please come back again if you need us.