Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

downloaded mac update OSX 10.5.7. SInce then Safari wont

Customer Question

downloaded mac update OSX 10.5.7. SInce then Safari won't work...closes unexpectedly after launching; mail opens up but if I attempt to read any mail with an attachment it unexectedly closes also. Help...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First we can try to fix Safari and then Mail...

We can try to delete the preference of Safari, So quit Safari and do like this (Don't open safari while deleting the preferences)

Goto ~/Library/Preferences and trash "com.apple.safari.plist" (Make backup before trashing)

If you can't find the preference , then goto here
~/Users/[yourname]/Library/Preferences and trash "com.apple.safari.plist" (Make backup before trashing)

After removing the preferences, restart your Mac, Open Safari and see if the problem still exists.

Only click ACCEPT after we solved all problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did not work and since safari is my default browser I am having a hard time opening up firefox to get this web page open; can't click on links from email. ANyway, as I said, still the same problem with safari.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
hmm...thats weird. You can try the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update. May be it will solve your problem.

Download Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Sorry..link not posted. Here it is

Download Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
still doesn't work; need to go to bed; please take your time and i will check back tomorrow; can't verify payment yet as problem still persists
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay....two more suggestion...You can make it work by creating a user acccount or by an Archive and Install.

First try to create a UserAccount
There is a chance that your old account got corrupted....So you can create a new account.
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.
  • Then, try to use the MS Office and palm applications.

Only click ACCEPT after we solved all problem...
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
ignore the last step "Then, try to use the MS Office and palm applications"
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I couldn't test mail as I need to enter all information and have to go back and forth to copy mail servers, etc. But Safari does work. Can you tell me how I can copy all my files and stuff on my desktop to this new account? Anyway, I will accept so you can get payment as Safari does work and I will asume mail will work also.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer. You can view/copy your all old account files in here
~/Users/[oldusername]/

So copy all iTunes, Pictures, Documents and others into new account
ie in to here ~/Users/[newaccount]/. Before copying files, make sure there is no files inside your new account's sub folders..i.e in ~/Users/[username]/. I mean no iTunes musics in Music folder, no iPhoto files in Pictures folder etc.

There is no need to copy Applications...

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
And also, don't copy library folder....