Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My husband bought me a Canon Vixa HF200 HD camcorder. I am

Customer Question

My husband bought me a Canon Vixa HF200 HD camcorder. I am dying to use it, but when opening the box it said "The supplied PIXELA ImageMixer 3 SE software is not compatible with Mac OS. Do you know if this a big problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

Is the camera is USB or Firewire ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
When I click on the Apple - MAC OS icon it brings up the MAC OS Snow Leopard screen. The camera is USB. I am new to the MAC.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
WOW ! You are using Snow Leopard !!!Surprised

I'm not very familiar with Snow Leopard and i don't know how it works....Snow Leopard is the latest and i don't have it.

So, I think your camera supports both video and pictures. Right ?

Are you trying to capture the photo or video ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will be doing both. I am not sure if I need this Pixela App disk to work on the videos/pictures, or if the MAC software will recognize the videos/pictures to import. I saw someone post this question on a site last week and got no answer. I don't want to open the box if it's not going to work properly.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
The disk is for Windows, most of the disk came with Camcorders, printers etc are for only Windows. So we can try to capture the video on iMovie...iMovie may recognize the camera and it will capture it without any problems.

What version of iMovie are you using ? (You can see the version while opening iMove like iMovie 08 or iMovie 09)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am using iMovie 08.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
First we can try to capture the videos in iMovie 08.....

1. Open iMovie '08
  2. Connect your camcorder to your computer with a USB cable.
  3. Make sure your camcorder is in the proper mode i.e in Playback, Computer or VTR mode.
  4. iMovie will detect the camcorder and open the Import window.

5. Set the Automatic/Manual switch at the bottom-left of the import window to the Automatic position if you want all of your clips imported.

To begin the import process, click Import All.

6. If you want to choose which clips to import, set the Automatic/Manual switch to Manual.

7. In Manual mode, you can select a video clip (1) and play that clip in the window by clicking the Play button (2).

Note: This allows your clip to play. The clip is not imported.

8. The checkbox under each video clip determines whether that clip will be imported. If a checkbox is selected (1) the clip will be imported. If the checkbox is deselected (2) the clip will not be imported.

9. Click the Import Checked button to import your video clips.

10. From the Save to menu, you can choose a Save to location, add your clip to a new or existing iMovie Event, and select a size for your imported video clip.
    • Choose the hard disk where you want your video saved (if you have more than one hard disk).
    • Select the option to add your imported footage to an existing iMovie event or to create a new event.
    • Choose a size for your imported video.

11. Click OK.

12. iMovie lets you know when your import is complete.

Click OK to exit the import mode.

Your imported video appears in your Event Library. In this example it is “San Francisco Bay”.

(note from Apple)

Only Click ACCEPT after it worked !
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try and let you know. I charged the camera, and I am leaving on vacation for 10 days. Hope it works.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay...i will look forward to your reply. Please don't forgot to come back...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

Sorry this took so long. I have uploaded my pictures/videos onto my computer successfully. I will accept your answer, but my question was clearly on whether I needed the software that came with the camera that said it was not compatible with Mac OS.. You were right in that iMovie did recognize the camera, and I was able to upload the pictures without the software.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thats Mac OS softwares, no drivers.....Just Plug 'N' Play !

And glad to hear that it worked. Thanks for Accepting my answer.

Please come back again !

Best Regards,