Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go when trying to create

Customer Question

Can anyone tell me the best way to go when trying to create a small two computer network for a Mac and a PC? I need to also connect a printer that isn't wireless or network ready yet. I've tried various things and taken it all back because something doesn't want to work some where.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK. I have a setup like what you are looking for.
First go back and get the Airport Extreme not the Express as it will not work for you. I use it and it works.
Next get a powered USB 2.0 hub the more ports the more stuff, this allows both printers and an external drive (actually depending on how many USB ports are on the hub you could have many of both drives and printers as you like).
Now plug the hub into the Airport and the Airport into the modem and all the other stuff into the hub, turn it all on.
Now launch Airport Utility and wait until your Airport shows up on the left. Click on manual setup and see all your stuff in the tool bar. You may have to play around a bit to get it to play nice.
Then goto the Apple Support site for more info.
The DVD drive may not work but I have not tried that. Go for it if it works then you are golden.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This will create a network for the PC to talk to also?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I also have an older Compaq I use to do compatibility checks with and it works good.
Just be patient and check your work as you go as it is easy to set a setting wrong and then wonder why it won't work. Go slow.
I also have my Time Machine on the Airport and it is nice, I don't have to fuss with cables or nothing.
The first time it backs up seems like forever but after that, Golden.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you I'll give this a try. It seems like a lot to spend. The Airport Extreme is $179 and the hub isn't that big of deal, but I would like to have a time machine too.

I can do an ethernet connection from Mac to the airport extreme, wireless/wired connection from the PC to the router, plug in the hub to the router usb, then connect it to the modem and turn everything on and it should all be working properly? Do I need to change any settings in anything or will that be in the instructions of the extreme?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK. It seems I missed something here.
Can you describe the machines you are hooking to the network and how you plan on hooking them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a wireless ATT router right now, iMac G5 with ethernet, Windows XP Home SP 3 (home built) with wireless. I want to have them all connect to the internet, see each other's files on the harddrive and connect to the external drive and two printers that are USB connections only.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I see, OK.
I still suggest the Apple Airport Extreme because it has built in handlers for hard drives and printers and is mostly zero configuration.
The G5 connects via ethernet to the air port, the Windows via wireless to the airport. The USB hub plugs into the Airport USB port and all the drives and printers connect to the hub. The G5 is the machine to set up the Airport with AirPort Utility located in Applications/Utilities. Once the Airport is powered up The G5 will see it and then go from there. The Airport Extreme will come with the disks to install the software if yours is old. If you do regular updates then just leave the disk in the box.
Once all the sharing preferences have been turned on in both machines all should work.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for all your help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome