Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a powerbook G4 that was working great yesterday afternoon.

Customer Question

I have a powerbook G4 that was working great yesterday afternoon. Today I started it up and heard it come on but the screen acts as if it were dead - it never comes on. I have forced shut it down a couple of times and restated it but I'm getting nothing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I had one that did the same thing. And it required a new logic board, that said try the steps below, it may do the job.
There are a few things to try before giving up.
Remove the battery and the power supply, then press and hold the power button for 5 seconds (time it) then let go. Replace the battery and or the power supply.
Now as you press the power button to power up press and hold these 4 keys: option, apple (command), R, and P. wait for 4 chimes then let go of the keys.
This resets the PMU (power management controller) and the PRAM and may bring you screen back to life.
If this does not work then if you have an external monitor that you can connect try starting the computer with that.
This will tell you if the built in screen is bad and not the logic board, if it does the same thing then I think there are issues that a hands on tech can diagnose better than I can.
If you have any more info that may shed more light on this then please tell me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't get the computer to chime the four times. How long should it take?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
How many times did it chime?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It did not chime when I held down those keys - it did chime like normal if I didn't
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK. Sometimes it seems like it won't. Try it again and this time keep holding all 4 keys until it chimes at least 3 times.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I hold the power button down as well or just press it and release it while I hold the other four buttons
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Do not hold the power button only these 4 keys: option, apple, P, R. no other keys.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Daniel, I can't get it to chime more than once
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes it can be difficult to hold all at the same time. It does require all to be pressed together. The reason I question is it chimes at least once.
I know this is getting to be frustrating.
Since it has chimed and started do you have any thing on the screen?
Do you have another monitor you can hook up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Daniel, Sorry, I had to go take care of a kid emergency. I have to leave, I will try to see if I can pick this up again later.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK, I will be here.