Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Installed Leopard on our iMac G5. All our files, including

Installed Leopard on our iMac G5. All our files, including our photos, were erased. Is there any way to recover the photos?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Can you describe for me how the install was initiated and what steps you took to start and finish the install?

It is important because some steps may have done irreparable damage to the data and that will make it impossible to recover anything.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike,

Not sure. Did the standard install. Rebooted the computer. Do not believe intentional erasure.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
OK,

Let me ask this.

When you open the Macintosh HD and then open the Users folder, how many Users are listed in that folder?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1 user, hthomas and 1 shared
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
OK.

Was this an upgrade? or a clean install over an existing install?

I was hoping that it just created a new user, which would make most of your stuff look like it disappeared.

Are the Applications all new? or do you see any that you had installed prior?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It was intended to be an upgrade, but looks like a clean install over existing. Applications installed prior to today are not present. Is there any way to recover any data?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Well, slim to none actually.

I would first stop using it completely.

Then you will need a data recovery application like Data Rescue II. You boot from that disk and then it searches the hard drive for erased or unattached files that are intact.

You WILL need an external hard drive to recover onto or another Mac connected via Target Disk Mode (if it supports that).

If you continue to use the Mac, you risk making it even harder to recover anything as OS X keeps writing to the disk as it works and overwrites anything worth recovering.