Michael
Michael, Mac Genius
Experience:  Linux and Mac Genius available for help. Been using Linux and Mac for years.

In setting up email, the wrong name has been associated with

Customer Question

In setting up email, the wrong name has been associated with an email address. How to change this and set up a new account with the "wrong" name having its own email address-
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. Could you please tell me what mail program are you using(examples: MS Outlook, Outlook Express)>?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't know? We are using whatever came with the comcast bundle now-

The confusion came when the installer set up the email- in my husband's name and my address- We'd like it not to say the email was from him when it is from me, and set up an account which he can use in his name with his address (which will be created when added to the account.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. When you open up your mail program what does it say in the very top left corner. Does it say MS Outlook or Outlook Express? You can also find this out by clicking on help at the top and then telling me what it says if it says about "microsoft outlook" or about "microsoft outlook express"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Upper left says smart zone communication center- no MS or MS express- we are both (husband and I) on macs -tiger and panther- soon I'll leave for an appointment, but will be back mid afternoon.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Alright thank you for the quick reply. I'm going to transfer this question to the MAC category, a MAC expert should be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, but where is he accept button? Does the question go right to the mac person?
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
I'm assuming that you're using Apple Mail and not a third party application.

After opening the Mail application, go to the "Mail" menu and choose "Preferences".

In the preferences window, choose the Accounts tab. Using the available accounts and options on this tab, you can rename the account that was mis-named, and create a new account for the wrong name you entered previously.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I know if I'm using Apple mail- I don't think so-- For years we used a local connection, allied with the Dartmouth college Blitz mail and run by sovernet. Then we switched to comcast, and everything comes in on some kind of cable- The apple application has never been used on this machine unless it somehow switched when we went with comcast- Our account is a comcast and not apple? very confused here-
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
When you launch the application, the menu bar on the top of your screen changes to reflect the options available in the program. Next to the Apple icon, is the name of the program.

If you're using Apple Mail (which works fine on Comcast or any other provider), the name you will see next to the apple icon is "Mail", and if you go to the "Mail" menu and choose "About Mail" it will say:

Mail
A version number
and Copyright © 2005 Apple Computer, Inc., (or something like that)

So, following these instructions, can you identify the program you're using for mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm looking at the email right now- when on blitz mail we used to get "blitz" next to the apple- now I just have safari next to the apple- I can try going to apple mail, but wouldn't I have an apple address?
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
There are many (many many many) different applications that can be used to send and receive email. Apple Mail is just the one that comes with your Mac.

If your mail application is Safari, then you're using a webmail implementation (one of many)

In order to continue, I would need to know exactly what software is used for the webmail functionality. (Could be SquirrelMail, MagicMail, I use one called Zimbra, and there are literally hundreds of other possible webmail apps)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a way I can tell that? Is this getting too complicated? Should I just call comcast??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I give up- take the $16 and I'll chalk it up to a hard lesson- The question was one I should have sent to comcast directly, or actually figured out my self- which is what I usually do. I thought I'd save some time. I'll go ahead and click accept after lunch.