Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

OSX Many of my file have been converted to Terminal, Unix Executa

Customer Question

OSX Many of my file have been converted to Terminal, Unix Executable Files. How do I get back the original files? and how do I prevent this from happening
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
This can happen when the associations of the file to an application get messed up.

One solution is to find out which files belong to what apps.

Then click on one file, let's say a Word document, and then go to the File Menu and choose Get Info.

In this window, look for the section titled Open With...
Choose Microsoft Word in the pop up list that is shown. It may or may not be the default already.

Near the bottom of the section where it says 'use this application to open all files like this', click the button labeled Change all.

Do this for each file that shows as a Unix file and then follow the same procedure until associations have been repaired.

Now, go to the Applications menu and choose Utilties and then open Disk Utility.

In DU, click on your Hard Drive, most likely macintosh HD, and click on First Aid Tab. Click on Repair Permissions. This can take a while, so be patient with it.

When it finishes, close out of DU and then restart the Mac.

This should fix your issue.