MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Ive tried everything to get administrator access on my Macbook

I've tried everything to get administrator access on my Macbook -- EVERYTHING. I can't download or change files! Please help. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed you have tried these steps already in an attempt
to resolve this issue:
1. keychain
2. new user account
3. typing in all that "root" stuff
4. re-installing from disk

However, I did not see any reference that you tried to reset your Administrator
password XXXXX your Mac OS Install disc. If this is the case,
then:

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
In order to reset your password XXXXX any Mac OS X platform
all you need to do is:

BOOT TO TIGER/LEOPARD DISK-
• Place your installation Disk (Tiger or Leopard I presume) into your drive and
allow it to load.
• Restart your Mac
• As soon as you hear the Apple Chime, press the "C" key on your keyboard
and hold it.
• You will see a White Screen, Grey Apple first, do not release the C key until you
see a Spinning gear.
• Once you see that Spinning gear, release your C key and allow the disc to
continue loading

- RESETTING ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD-
(Works for both Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard))

• When the booting to the Mac OS X disc is completed, you will now be in the
Installer environment
• Enter to next page, look up on upper left corner you should see "Installer" near
the Apple menu.
• Two spaces over you should see Utilities. Click Utilities>Reset Password.

• Select your user name from the drop down list and reset your password.
• When you are done, simply exit the Reset Password XXXXX Installer and reboot.

• At the Login window, enter your new password XXXXX you should be back into your home profile.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've tried that a dozen times. The message says I can't change a password XXXXX do anything else without an administrator name and password. Catch-22! The machine won't really let me log out of my 'standard' user account -- it logs me in automatically when I start up. I'm totally frustrated.
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for the long delay, I am returning from a family vacation.

Considering the standard Password XXXXX process is not yielding anything
I have another process using a similar procedure to help correct this issue.
I know you mentioned in your initial question point# XXXXX - "3. typing in all that "root" stuff " however, I would like you to give this procedure a try just once more and let me know what happens.

ACTIVATING ROOT USER PASSWORD (for troubleshooting processes only)

• Insert your Mac OS X 10.5 Install disc
• Reboot your Mac
• As the Mac reboots, hold the C Key
• Once you see a white screen, with a grey screen and eventually a spinning gear, r release the C key and allow the Mac to boot into the Installer environment.

From the Installer menu bar select Utilities
• From the Utilities menu, choose Reset Password once again
(do not choose Firmware Password XXXXX).

• Follow the onscreen instructions to reset the root password (the root account is not the same as your account).

• Select the name of the drive that Mac OS X is installed on, select the user named "System Administrator (root)" from the pop-up menu, type the password XXXXX the first field, re-enter the password XXXXX the second field, then click the Save button.

• Restart from your Mac OS X Leopard volume.
• When the main login window appears, select "Other..." and log in as the root user
using the password XXXXX was created above.

( Note: If Mac OS X automatically logs in, choose Log Out (user name) from the Apple menu to get to the login window.)

• Go to Accounts preferences and check (enable) "Allow user to administer this computer" for the affected user account.

•Also see if you can reset the password XXXXX that affected user account as well.

• From the Apple menu, choose Log Out root....
• Log in as the user account that had this issue. (Your account should now have administrator access.)

-TO DISABLE ROOT USER
• Use Directory Utility to disable the root user via Directory Utility's Edit menu. You may need to click the lock icon first).
• From Finder Menu, select Go>Utilities >Directory Utility

• Now from the Directory Utility menu bar, select Edit >Disable Root User from the drop down menu.
- This will disable root user and you will now resume using your normal Administrator accounts.

Let's hope this procedure will be the fix you need for resolving this issue. Thanks for your patience, keep me posted!

Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years