MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have never been able to get my HP all-in-one scanner to work

Customer Question

I have never been able to get my HP all-in-one scanner to work with my computer. It prints and copies just fine, but the scanning function will not scan into my computer. I get an error message on the scanner's LCD saying "USB not connected." My computer is a macbook pro running leopard OS. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What specific version of Mac OS X Leopard are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What brand and model of printer are you using?

• Did you reinstall the drivers from the CD that came with your printer or from that printer manufacturer's website?

• Finally, have you checked to make sure the USB connection of your printer, is firmly seated in the USB port, or try each USB port on your Mac ?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm running the leopard OS 10.5
My printer is an HP C4280,
i have not yet reinstalled the drivers, but since the printer works fine, just not the scanner, that didn't seem to be the problem. but i will try that.
Yes i have checked that the USB is firmly secured, and tried it with all 3 ports on my computer.
I've also looked at other tech blogs and this doesn't seem to be an unusual problem with this particular piece of equipment and mac OS. But none of those offered solutions, just lots of people complaining, which is why I'm trying here.
Thanks for your help!
HelloCustomerand thanks for your detailed update.

I have a few links here I would like you to run, in order to address the issue with your scanner. The HP Drivers Update v1.1 is an update Apple developed for HP Printers on Leopard systems.

If you have already update your printer/scanner (Photosmart Studio) software dated 02/2008, then disregard that download and install link.

HP Drivers Update v1.1 (From Apple for Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard and up)

HP Photosmart C4280 drivers (for Mac OS 10.5.x and includes update of Photosmart Studio imaging software)

Once you have fully downloaded and installed these drivers, before attempting to access you printer and to test the scanner feature, repair all permissions on your Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard volume first by running Disk Utility, per the procedure below.

-RUN DISK UTILITY FIRST-

Go to Finder Menu bar
• Click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair permissions until completion
(This is not often a necessary step, but in the many of the hands-on software and Mac OS X troubleshooting I have done on Macs, I almost always run it just because it does repair alot of the permissions on files which can sometimes affect how certain applications, files and folders work. It also improves your Mac's performance a bit too:)

Once Disk Utility has completed the permissions repair, please close the application (unless you see red text at the completion summary of Disk Utility- then reply back to me asap), and then attempt to use your HP's scanner function and let me know if there is any difference in its operation and performance.

I will be awaiting for your reply. Thanks for your patience!

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Finally today, after installing the new drivers and updates, and repairing the disk remissions, the scanner still did the same thing. BUT then i opened the HP photosmart software to see what that would do, clicked the scan icon on the computer, and then the scanning process worked. Apparently it has to be computer initiated? I can't just click the scan button on the device itself, or i get the error message. I'm ok with that, at least its working. So thank you very much. Now should I uninstall the old drivers or something?