Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

cannot eject disc from drive grey blank screen nothing wor

Customer Question

cannot eject disc from drive grey blank screen nothing works
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Can I get some more info. I need the machine type such as MacBook, iMac etc.
OS version 10.x.x
What have you tried?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
imac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
iMac what? I need as much as you can tell me or I can't help much. This is like taking your car to the mechanic and saying it makes a noise.
What were you trying to do?
Is it a DVD or CD?
How new is the machine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
machind is less than one week old. i was trying to use bootcamp. i what i thought was an xp installation disc. then i just got a grey screen nothing else nothing will work
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK, now we are getting somewhere.
Completely power down the computer then Restart the machine and hold down the space bar, this will (usually) eject the disk.
Do not hold any other keys while doing this. The iMac will start up in OS X and the disk may take a while to eject, just be patient.
After that then check the disk before reinserting.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when you say power down do i just switch the button on the back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do i have to unplug because I have switched off computer by button and held down the space bar. Nothing happen ed

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does my machine need a repair or can you solve the problem
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Did you power back up after pushing the power button to power down?
After turning it off you have power it on holding the space bar all the time untill it shows the desk top and the disk ejects.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I am trying to fix it. Aftter powering off with the button you have to turn it back on while holding the space bar untill you see the desk top and the disk ejects.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i did exactly what you said nothingshows on grey screen no desk top

Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK. We will try something else. Turn the iMac off and then turn it back on while holdind down the option comand (Apple) P and R keys all at the same time. Wait for 3 three chimes then and only then let got of all keys and let it start up.
Then after it starts up eject the disk.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
tried that didnot work
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK. Since it is a new machine I suggest you take it to the Apple store and have a Genus look at it. They will get the disk out and fix the non start up problem for free. I will include the URL for Apple so you can find the nearest store to your location.
http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one last question you have been very patient. did i break the machine by putting the wrong xp disc in it
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
No you did not break it even if you had put it in upside down. The Genus at Apple will fix it all up. Make sure you make a reservation before you go or the wait can be long.
Mornings are usually better as they are not as busy. Good luck.