Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have lost all control of my volume on my Apple PowerBook

Customer Question

I have lost all control of my volume on my Apple PowerBook G4. The volume indicator shows full-high volume, however, there is no sound through my headphones. I cannot adjust the volume on either the keyboard or volume slide control at the top of the screen.

HELP!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Did this just happen or have you noticed a slow deterioration of quality or volume over time?
I assume this affects both headphones and the built in speakers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is affecting both the speakers and headphones. It was immediate, no slow deterioration.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Have you shut it down and restarted? I mean all the way power off?
Do you have AppleCare? Or is it still under warranty?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not shut down completely, just re-started. No AppleCare, as computer is out of warranty. I assumed this would be one of your easier fixes. No other suggestions?

Walt
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately without hands on examination the only thing I can suggest is trying a different headphone and see if maybe there was an issue with the headphone jack that may be dislodged with another plug but that is a long shot.
Other than that it requires a hardware examination by a tech.
Would be a simple fix if it were a simple problem, hardware can't be fixed long distance. Sorry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your trying to help. However, look at the answers you gave me. Essentially, you told me to take it in for service. I had already advised you that I tried troubleshooting, and I did not think you advice warranted a $9.00 fee. Sorry! I have used this service in thae past, and have always paid, however, i received very useful information in those cases. i know you tried to help, but read back over the very few exchanges we had, and tell me if it was worth a $9.00 fee.

Walt
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Can you look into the headphone jack and tell me if there si a red light on in there?