Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have just installed FIOS internet with Verizon. My Mac laptop

Customer Question

I have just installed FIOS internet with Verizon. My Mac laptop clocks 6627 kbps download and 1708 kbps upload, but the connection easily drops. My mac mini started with this high a speed, but has dropped significantly and is on and off the net erratically. Both are on wireless networks. We have been with Time Warner with the same computers with no serious problems. We used a belkin router, but that was replaced by a Verizon wireless router with the installation. Is there a way to beef up my mac mini air port or the Verizon router?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Since this has started with the installation of new hardware that is where I would start.
You say that with RR you did not have this issue with speed drop offs and that is why i suspect the new modem.
My opinion is call Verizon and get them to replace the modem as that looks to be the problem.
If you have additonal info that may help please tell me.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why does the speed on the laptop exceed 6000 kbps sitting right next to the mac mini that is plugging along at 600kbps?
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
The Mini is an Intell and so should not be slower than the laptop. Try turning the airport off and back on in the Mini without rebooting the machine. Also ckeck for applications that may be using the network on the Mini, sometimes something can be running unawares like in the Dashboard. This has happened to me.
If you have AppleCare I suggest taking it to Apple. If not then keep feeding me info and I will try to help.