Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a MAC OS X. I have been getting the message Your start

I have a MAC OS X. I have been getting the message "Your start up disk is full". I have tried clearing out stuff, but it is still sluggish. Sometimes "Mail" doesn't respond properly and I have to reboot. Thousands of my pictures in "iphoto" have somehow disappeared. What do you suggest? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I would suggest getting an external hard drive (250GB or more because it sounds like you take lots of pics) and then using Time Machine to back everything up. This will take some time and the sooner done the better.
At least make copies of all your stuff.
After which I would do an erase and install a new OS. This will fix all the problems you are having with the computer. All the backed up stuff can be restored from the Time Machine drive so nothing more is lost.
It sounds like there are corrupted files that are causing problems. Try not to use it much as this will make things worse.
This is the best answer I can give with what you told me.