Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I have been following Apples directions to a T in setting

Customer Question

I have been following Apples directions "to a T" in setting up my MacBook Pro for Boot Camp as there are a few MS pgms that I must use. I have backed up my drive with Time Machine and created a partition for windows. However, after I put in the installation disks, things are not going as per the manual. I have attempted to pull out of this, but now in the restart it defaults to DOS partition and there is nothing to boot to! I would like to be successful in getting Windows/Bootcamp installed. If I just don't have the right disks for this, I would like to know that this is the reason that this has been unsuccessful and get back so that OS X loads.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You should restart your Mac and immediately press and hold the Option key. That will give you a choice to boot from the Mac or the Windows partition. Choose the Mac then go into Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant. There you can manage your windows partition and get back to what you need done.

A side note. I gave up Boot Camp for Sun Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/
because it is free and you don't have to reboot to use it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am back in the Mac OS. Thank you for the info on virtualbox. Tell me: The disks that I have may be the problem. I got them from a friend who bought a toshiba with Vista loaded. The disks that she has are labelled "recovery and applications" and not installation disks. Do you know if these will work? If so, as you know, I am a little new to this. If it is the case that I have the right disks, can you tell me if the virtualbox set up to do this will be as easy as it seems boot camp is?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
No you can not use the recovery disks from another computer. It will not work period. You will need windows install disks to do the job with either Boot Camp or Virtual Box.
Microsoft will require you to enter authorization codes to install their OS.
Once you have the right disks, Virtual Box is just as easy as Boot Camp to install.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cool! Just one last question. If I were to get an installation disk from someone, as I understand it, those installation disks require an activation. As I recall, the installaton is good for 30 days without activation and then goes dead... is that right? So, if I were to use a friend's install disks (and he had it registered on his pc) would I be able to register it on my Mac? I have an ancient XP notebook but do not have the installaton disks any more, I guess that I could write or call HP and see if I could by a fresh installation? (I am ready to pay, just hope that you might be able to guide me a bit here.)
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Microsoft keeps an Activation database. It's a bit of a mystery how it all works. But when you activate windows with the long code it comes back with a message of rejection if it's not a good code. In fact you can't get past that screen. If it takes it past that screen you are good to go.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does that mean that it would have to be installed with disks that "belong" to a pc that I have registered? Or can it be with the disks that go with another's computer that has already been registered? BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that I don't believe that I have installation disks for my old pcs: I'll have to really dig around the house to see if I can fnd them. I have a friend who has Vista installaton disks but he is telling me that it won't work because it is already registered on his pc. So, do I persuade him that "it just ain't so" or do I pony up the cash to buy new installation disks from HP for one of my old notebooks? Or can I buy off ebay? If you would like to talk about this to save time I am charmedlife1 skype id. I guess that I want to know exactly what to do next and hope to get this info in exchange for my precious 9 bucks! (>:
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
The official answer is you need to buy Windows install disks. I think, but I'm not sure that Microsoft allows two registrations from each numbers. But if I was your friend I would not want to risk my installation by letting you use my registration numbers.
You are installing Windows on a Mac. So you do not need to go to HP for the disks unless you are trying to get them for free. I would just go to Walmart or Best Buy and pick up a copy or the Windows version you want to install. And sorry but that will not be cheap.
You can buy them off eBay but make sure you are dealing with someone who is not out to rip you off. Positive feedback of a few thousand is a good indicator.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK! That's all that I needed! So very much appreciated! It is my understanding that you have been paid. Very helpful and appreciated. As I get more affluent I will become a tipper! Meanwhile please know that I very much appreciate this and your taking the time to explain this to me.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Thank You!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bob can you tell if you were paid or not here? I thought that you have but I am not sure that I understand this interface here.