Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have a problem with the computer name window. The window

Customer Question

I have a problem with the computer name window. The window which in my case has Macintosh HD and Network icons displayed stays displayed on my desktop, I can't move it or stop it displaying and if I move it another one is created. I now have tens of these windows underneath each other that I can't get rid off.

Thanks Ellie
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
You may have either a stuck/bad keyboard or the Finder needs to have its preferences reset.

You can test the keyboard theory by just replcaing your with another USB keyboard. If you can delete the windows and they do not replicate, you found the problem.

Or, do this:
Open your Home Folder, or from one of the Finder windos, open Macintosh HD. Then open the Users Folder. Now open the folder with the your Username under it.

In here open the Library folder. Not the one in the Macintosh HD window, has to be in the User folder.

In the Library folder, open the Preferences folder and then remove the file named:

Close all the windows and immediately restart the Mac.

See if the problem goes away.