Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I connected my MacBook Pro to my TV, a DVI port to an HDMI

I connected my MacBook Pro to my TV, a DVI port to an HDMI port. All I got on my TV screen was my computer screen saver, nothing else. The label on the cable box said, "HDMI to DVI". Are these cables ONE-WAY? Is there such a thing as "DVI to HDMI"? Please help. Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
You say you have the screen saver on the TV, correct?
The cables are not one way, if it is labeled HDMI to DVI then it is also DVI to HDMI.
Sense it is showing the computer screen then there is signal.
Open your system preferences and click on displays. There you will find options for mirroring your screen or expanding (dual screens).
I would say that given the information you provided this is the answer that will solve your problem.
If you think of more information that may help then please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. After sliding my screen around a lot I finally got it on the TV. However, being so unknowledgeable about computers, I have one more question that I should have asked at the beginning but didn't know enough to ask. Is DVI to HDMI a video cable only? I got no audio. How do I do that? Thank you. I appreciate your expertise.

Joe Dickey
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I sent a separate reply on email, but I'll ask here, as well.

Thank you for your information. After sliding my computer screen around a lot, I got a picture on my TV. However, being so unknowledgeable I didn't ask an important question. Is DVI to HDMI a video cable only? How do I get audio? Thanks.

Joe Dickey
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
It is both according to all the specs I have seen.
You may have to check settings on the TV to accept the signal.
Also check the System Profiler on your Mac when you have it connected to make sure your computer 'sees' it correctly.
It may take some poking around in the System Preferences to get it all working. Sometimes it can be a hair pulling experience.