Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi, My Mac is overheating when I charge it. It gets really

Customer Question

My Mac is overheating when I charge it. It gets really hot and the fan runs so long to cool it down that it runs the battery down low so I need to charge it again. I checked and the battery is about 80% good. Should I take it to someone to check it out? If so, who does that in my zip code area? 46234 zip code.
Thanks, XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What type of Mac is this ? (Macbook, Macbook Pro, iBook etc)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
I have a MacBook Pro.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply....First we can try some troubleshooting steps and see if they can help.

Reset the SMC of your MacBook Pro

Shut down your Mac, Remove the power cord, battery and all other cables from your Mac. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds. Now plug the power cord back and also all other cables and battery. Now Turn on your Mac and see if the problem still there.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

If the above doesn't work then my recommendation is, take it to the Apple store directly and ask them to repair it. It is better to take it to the Authorized apple store and not to local computer shops. Since, this is a hardware issue only Apple can help you.

Apple Retail Store (Genius bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reply back to this post. Good Luck !

Best Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If you are happy with my answer, please kindly click ACCEPT. If not, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
I don't usually leave my Mac plugged in. It's takes awhile for the Mac to start overheating. Can I print your instructions out so I don't forget them before I turn off the computer? I'm not sure how to take the battery out. I have never done that. Can you tell me how to do it?
Jo Ann
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the late response.... Yes you can print out this information.

Here is the good tutorial for removing and inserting battery : Click Here

Good Luck,

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Actually Macbook Pros are built for higher works. It is normal that it will increase hot very much, when you do high memory intensive works.

Open Activity Monitor from ~/Applications/Utilities/ folder and check to see if any of your open processes is using excessive resources. If so quit it.

Let me know how it goes before Accepting
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try this and I won't know for awhile if it works because it takes while before it starts overheating. Thank you!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Okay...i will look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
I'm going to accept because if this didn't work, I will take it to the dealer.
Thanks for your help,
Jo Ann
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jo Ann,
Thank you very much for Accepting my answer. I hope everything will works fine. Have a great day.

Best Regards,