Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

hi, have just spent all evening on creating reply to email

hi, have just spent all evening on creating reply to email in Mail then inadvertently closed this letter (click red box top left) rather than minimized it. Stopped using PC (laptop intel duo OSX 10.5.7) ie maybe one or two step back? eg disconnected I am writing this from the desktop imac.
Clicking the close dot on a Mail Message always brings up a message window asking if you want to save it. If you say yes then it ends up in your drafts folder. Open the arrow under ON MY MAC to see if it's in your drafts folder.
Time machine would not have helped because it was never written as a file to your hard drive if you didn't save it. If you did save it then it should still be there.