Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college

I have a question about synchronizing my MacBook Pro and my

Customer Question

I have a question about synchronizing my MacBook Pro and my Iphone, especially the contacts.

I have a "Contacts" icon on my phone, and an "Address Book" application on the Mac. I also have contacts within Entourage, and Gmail.

Email accounts on my phone are set up for Comcast, GMail, and MobileMe.

I can sync manually through ITunes, but I also have Mobile me.

My question is about the data flow for Contacts during an update or synchronization. Which file, if any, is the "Master" list that updates all the others? Does the MacBook address send information to "Contacts" on the phone and in Mobile me? Or does the Mobile Me account dominate and send files to the phone and computer?

What is the data flow if I add a new contact to the phone then do a sync? What about if I add a new contact to the Mac. Does it go from there to the iPhone AND mobile me. How does Mobile me work between the Mac and the Iphone? Which is the "Master" file of contacts and or addresses? How do i Sync?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Mobile me is the dominate account. Mobile Me keeps your information in a central location over at Apple.   Mobile Me synchronizes the macbook address book. Mobile Me synchronizes the iphone and it could also synchronize other PC's or Macs. Keeping everything the same.

If you add a new contact to the phone. It will sync with Mobile Me.

When your computer syncs with Mobile Me the new contact is added to your address book

If you add a new contact to the mac, It will sync with Mobile Me and then the iphone would get it once it syncs

If you go to This is what is on your Mobile Me account.

If you login into Gmail you can click on Contacts and then export at the top right
Export all contacts in vcard format for Apple Address book

In the Sync pane in MobileMe preferences there is an option named "Show status in menu bar".   This puts the sync icon to the left of your airport icon or clock.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about Entourage and Apple's "Mail" application? Is Mobile Me the dominant account for these applications as well.

Thank you for your assistance. I love your product/service.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes mobile me syncs calendars with ical, contacts with address book and mail with apple mail.

If your using Entourage 2008 you can setup Mobile me in the preferences.
Otherwise you will have to export the contacts out of Entourage and into mac address book for them to sync.