Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

I accidentally erased a profile on a company computer and was

Customer Question

I accidentally erased a profile on a company computer and was unable to create a new one appropriately until I went to the genius bar at a mac store. We were able to clean up the user profiles by giving ownership to the appropriate users.

we seemed to have overlooked one aspect as I am unable now to download from the newest profile. the download connections points to the other profile. How can I get it to work correctly. is it sliding a folder over?

thanks for your help.
adam
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomerand thanks for using justanswer.com,

Open firefox

Click Firefox in the top left and choose preferences

Click the Main tab

Under downloads, click save files to and choose the correct downloads folder.

You can do the same thing for Safari.

Open Safari

Click Safari in the top left and choose preferences

Click the General tab and then save files to and choose the correct downloads folder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I failed to mention that that was how I made sure that both were pointing at the same location. I could not get the browser to make the change even though I was very specific to choose the right user profile.

I just tried again and choose my documents as the location for download but to avail.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
That normally happens when the Desktop is set to read only

Click on the smile icon at the left-hand side of your dock

Click on Go at the very top and choose computer

Double click Macintosh HD or whatever your hard drive name is

Double click the Users folder

Click once on your home folder (don't open it just highlight it )

Click on File at the very top and choose Get Info

Click on the lock at the bottom right to unlock it

Click on Sharing and Permissions

Make sure your name is XXXXX XXXXX having read write permissions if not change it.

To the left of the lock there is a gear button

Click on that and choose Apple to enclosed items

Press Ok

Try downloading again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all of the settings under details were already set to read write permission.
I went ahead and applied the settings with the button as you said - but no change.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Lets try deleting the preference file.

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock.

This will bring up your home folder.   Go into a folder called Library and then another folder called Preferences.

Delete the file called org.mozilla.firefox.plist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no go. do you wanna give me a call? XXX-XXX-XXXX

adam
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
justanswer only allows web communication via this website.

Can you test something for me? Can you save a file on the desktop from   any application to make sure the desktop folder is ok.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
works fine
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Try repairing permissions:

Click Go all the way at the Top and Choose Utilities
Open Disk Utility
Select your startup disk on the left of the Disk Utility window
Select First Aid from the tabs
Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the download it now working in safari but not in firefox. I suppose with all your suggestions we managed to get at least one thing straightened out. since it works in one browser would you say that it is no OS related anymore?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Definitely looks like its firefox issue now.

Can you download firefox at http://www.firefox.com and see if it works with the newer version.

Thanks for your patience on this one.
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help Tom. That got it all settled.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Great I am glad it all worked out and thanks for using justanswer.com