Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Hello, I am trying to install Vista on my mac via bootcamp.

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to install Vista on my mac via bootcamp. I am running a 10.5.7 MacBook Pro, and I have. Since I go to university, I get the OS without the disk, just directly onto my computer. But, in bootcamp you need the actual disk to do this, or have it save on an external hard drive since it can't boot from its mac memory while installing windows on a windows partition. When I go to disk utility, I made a partition of my external harddrive called "Vista", It is in the format" Mac OS X extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled). When ever I try an drag my Vista install file into the source box then my harddrive partition into the destination box while restoring, I get the error 254 - Cannot Verify Destination. How do I fix this problem? Because I need it restored onto the external hard drive to install windows onto my computer via bootcamp.. please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
This might just do the trick. Reformat in Mac OS X extended (NOT case sensitive), journaled.
Case sensitive means that if you use a capital letter for a file name you will have to use a capital to find or change or do anything to that file. It is recommended to never use case sensitive because it gets messed up easy.
If that doesn't work (and I don't think it will solve the issue) you will have to get the disk from the IT dept or go to them and use it there. I have never heard of anyone successfully installing windows from anything except the internal optical drive. I could be wrong.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That did not work. I've heard of this happening before, it is just like burning it onto a CD, and many many people do that.. It doesn't matter what it is saved on... It just needs to be in a place that can be accessed that is not on the Mac Default Drive.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Well I am out of advice and am relessing you to others that may have what you need.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ive been waiting.. can I get some help please?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK. I will give it one more try. Is the 'Vista' in .img or .dmg format. I know that all the Windows I have installed required installation from an optical disk and it wanted floppys also.
Is there no way you can get the disks? I don't know any other way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ISO
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
If you have the ISO, then you need an application like NEro or Toast to burn it to a CD/DVD. Then it will work just fine.

Mounting the ISO will not work.

Get a copy of either of the 2 above apps and burn the disk. The install will go just fine from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm on vacation the whole problem is I don't have access to disks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
If you can't burn the ISO then you will have to wait until you can, or get a copy of Windows from someone to use.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I knew that I just wanted a differennt way
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

That's the only way it will work.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok well I got a new question, and you guys never answered mine so I guess i will just post it as a reply here...

I am on a MacBook Pro 10.5.7 Firmware, and in bootcamp I created a Windows Vista Ultimate Partition and it works fine... I need more space on it though, I made my MACINTOSH HD partition smaller and I have 16GB of unolocated space, I know how to make it into NTFS...My question is how you merge 2 NTF partitions on mac, Paragon Partition Manager does not support the hard drive I have. Please answer this, or if there is another easy way to make my windows partition bigger, please tell me!