Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Mac questions I have a G4 which is the primary computer,

Customer Question

Mac questions: I have a G4 which is the primary computer, and a Macbook. I have DSL Extreme and a D-Link modem, and I'm trying to connect a new Linksys wireless router. I can get on the internet on the G4 but not the Macbook.
Th yellow "internet" plus on the router is plugged into the LAN plug on the modem; the #1 plug in the back of the router is plugged into the ethernet pug in the G4; the DSL plug on the modem is plugged into the DSL line from the wall. As is said - I can get the Internet on the G4 but not the MacBook. I'm doing some plugging wrong. The blue lights on the router are lit, as are the DSL and LAN lights on the modem.

I phoned tech support on the D-Link, and that's apparently OK. Please - what's wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I have a question. Are you trying to go wireless with MacBook? If so make sure that function is turned on in the D-Link.
Because the G4 is able to connect it seems that the issue is between the MB and the router. Check your settings.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to get on the internet on the MacBook as I can on the G4. I try to access Yahoo Mail on the MB and it tells me that I am "not Connected to the internet". Doing exactly the same on the G4 and I get on with no trouble.

P.S. I have owned Macs since 2nd desktop Mac with small memory.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Then you are no novice. How new is the MB and is it trying to use the N band to connect?
Can I assume you have looked at the sys prefs for TCP settings?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am trying to access the System Preferences(TCP/IP) setting only to be told that another application has changed the Sys Pref, I say "OK" only to get the same message again and again. I can't get past the message to check the TCP settings as requested.

The MB is 2 years old.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried Network Diagnostics yet?
Here is a solution that gets high marks.
"Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):
Make sure you don't delete these files before it has been proven to fix the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I may have had several Macs over the years, but I'm an old lady not a Geek. Can you please explain what you mean by the 7.1 8:34 PM "reply"? Also, I'm getting confused by whether to use the G4 of MacBook. It seems to me that The modem is not the problem, but the router is. The G$ can get on line because it doesn't have to go thru the router, but the MB does.

(It's 10:13 AM, 7/2 now)
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK. I see a clue. Explain to me just how you have the network set up.
If I read your reply right you have the G4 hardwired to the modem and the router to the modem, then the MB to the router via wireless.
If this is the case then you have to change it so everything goes through the router.
Step one: Modem to router

Step two: G4 to router (ethernet cable) I assume this is a desktop machine and is not wireless.

Step three: Make sure the wireless is turned on and active on the router. This is done by typing these numbers into your browser (Safari, Firefox) exactly as shown. These is the default address of most routers. If these do not get you in then the docs that came with the router should have the correct numbers (usually the last 2 sets are different. While you are in the set up for the router you may want to make you network password XXXXX

Step four: Your MB will now be able to roam the house after you have input the password XXXXX the airport connection.

If you have trouble following all this I can break it down more.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've given up on the Linksys and have gone for an Apple AirPort Extreme - I was told by a friend it was easy to hook up. WRONG. Now I'm back to the original Belkin, which at least gets the G4 on line.

Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I thought we had this fixed.
I use the Apple Airport Extreme myself and found it to be easy to use.
Tell me the steps you used to set it up and I will help you through it.