MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I need to change the password on my Mac because i cant remember

I need to change the password XXXXX my Mac because i can't remember the old one. i am trying to download a disc from apple to connect my new airport extreme router and password XXXXX XXXXX thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue, with resetting your Admin password XXXXX your Mac user account, as I understand.

In order to reset your password XXXXX any Mac OS X platform
all you need to do is:

BOOT TO TIGER/LEOPARD DISK-
• Place your installation Disk (Tiger or Leopard I presume) into your drive and
allow it to load.
• Restart your Mac
• As soon as you hear the Apple Chime, press the "C" key on your keyboard
and hold it.
• You will see a White Screen, Grey Apple first, do not release the C key until you
see a Spinning gear.
• Once you see that Spinning gear, release your C key and allow the disc to
continue loading

- RESETTING ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD-
(Works for both Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard))

• When the booting to the Mac OS X disc is completed, you will now be in the
Installer environment
• Enter to next page, look up on upper left corner you should see "Installer" near
the Apple menu.
• Two spaces over you should see Utilities. Click Utilities>Reset Password.
• Select your user name from the drop down list and reset your password.
• When you are done, simply exit the Reset Password XXXXX Installer and reboot.
• At the Login window, enter your new password XXXXX you should be back into your home profile.

Let me know if this helps.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i put in the tiger os-x disc but the computer said it could not accept it? i have also got for imac the following discs: software restore, software install and imac software install and restore. i also have a disc called: Apple Hardware Test.